Julian Assange: Hero or Villain?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Rearden Metal, Nov 29, 2010.

Julian Assange: Hero or Villain?

1. Clearly a hero (I am a U.S. Citizen)

28 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. Probably more hero than villain (I am a U.S. Citizen)

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Not sure (I am a U.S. Citizen)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Probably more villain than hero (I am a U.S. Citizen)

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Clearly a villain (I am a U.S. Citizen)

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Clearly a hero (I am NOT a U.S. Citizen)

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  7. Probably more hero than villain (I am NOT a U.S. Citizen)

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Not sure (I am NOT a U.S. Citizen)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  9. Probably more villain than hero (I am NOT a U.S. Citizen)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  10. Clearly a villain (I am NOT a U.S. Citizen)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Villain–noun:
    A cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime; scoundrel.

Hero–noun:
    A man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. A Hero.

10 years from now, when society benefits from increased openness and fewer abuses of power, current Wikileaks-opponents will say they knew it all along - and that they backed Assange.

Meanwhile Assange, handles the entire load himself.

Even "the man in the street" can't see this as the only true power possible for the average man. He hems and haws, spewing the "national security" line, given to him by the establishment.

A Hero.

And, someone who works on your behalf.

3. AND, when you read the serious reservations given in newspaper articles, concerning the leaks, this is someone jockeying for future position with the establishment in case Wikileaks should falter.

Don't you see it? The current players wrestle for top-down power and control, no matter what happens. Which is why - in the words of a song - "there's a yearning undefined, and people filled with rage."

Wikileaks is the only player empowering people from the bottom up.

4. In my younger days, I'd vote villian. Having been around a few years, I vote hero.

There've been other instances where "sensitive" issues have been published and we have survived, history repeats, Oh well....

5. Still undecided. If any of this was truly meant not to be seen by the public, Julian wouldn't be here. He isn't just exposing American interests here...

It all seems too orchestrated. For what exact purpose, is the real puzzle.

It sure does create chaos which is exactly what world leaders need to give their initiatives fuel.

6. if some reporter can get hold of millions classified cables, the Russians, etc. must have access to 10x more.

Julian Assange - a hero who brought weaknesses in US security into spotlight.

7. I'll decide when he posts leaks from other big countries - preferably totalitarian ones.

8. I don't know about that. Tonight Glenn Beck showed that the people who've supported Assange financially are the same who have backed Odumbo.

Odumbo hasn't shown outrage at these leaks. Could it be he sees a political advantage in the leaks NOT being stopped? Just asking...

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

The thought crossed my mind that Dumbo may even (secretly) approve of the leaks. He and his leftist extremist buddies would like nothing better than to destroy the US anyway.

10. Ricter

Ricter

I thought I read the first leaks were from China, at least two years ago. And he is no longer acting alone. And he won't be the last.

#10     Nov 29, 2010