Judge rules activist's beliefs on climate change akin to religion

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by jficquette, Nov 13, 2009.

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/03/tim-nicholson-climate-change-belief

In his written judgment, Mr Justice Burton outlined five tests to determine whether a philosophical belief could come under employment regulations on religious discrimination

• The belief must be genuinely held.

• It must be a belief and not an opinion or view based on the present state of information available.

• It must be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life.

• It must attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance.

• It must be worthy of respect in a democratic society, not incompatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others.

Humanism was given as an example meeting the criteria, while belief in a political party or the supreme nature of Jedi knights, from the Star Wars movies, were offered as ones that do not.

2. Ricter

Ricter

Utterly ridiculous. Perhaps necessary conditions, those five criteria, but all taken together somehow still insufficient.

Also, sounds like the guy is another poor devil running a department with full responsibility and no authority.

And I've never understood those who battle rotten (in their own view) employers to get their jobs back. If they lose they're out time and money, but if they win, they're now working in a place where everyone dislikes them. Who wants that?

3. Ricter - - youre missing the point. 'Your side' should welcome this. . . hell, theyve instigated it. It is a course that Al Gore has just begun to take. Its purpose is to defend against increasing numbers of factual & evidence based attacks on the scam of 'man made global warming' by saying it is a protected religious issue.

I guess the memo hasnt gotten down to the plebe level yet.

P.S. - - My apolgies if youre not a 'man made global warming' church member True Believer.

4. Global warming is not science.

5. Ricter

Ricter

I didn't miss anything, I just don't care to discuss global warming, denial of global warming, manmade global warming, or denial of manmade global warming in this particular thread, which to me has a much more interesting philosophical aspect to it.

6. Ricter

Ricter

Correct. Science is science. Global warming is a hypothesis based on observation.