Judge Halts New York City Soda Ban

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nutmeg, Mar 11, 2013.

1. wjk

wjk

I have no problem with restrictions being imposed on those receiving food stamps. That has no impact on my freedom.

For myself, I am satisfied if companies post what's in their food. I use those labels, especially regarding sugar and fat. It's there for those who wish to use it, though the accuracy of those labels is always in question. It's that info that enables me to make what I consider an informed decision regarding my food and drinks.
    Education. Your wife freely chose to educate kids in a way they found fun and satisfying in the end. They enjoyed the fruit of their labor. That's how it's supposed to work in a free country. Doesn't sound like the gov was needed or involved at all, and the result was a good one. How bout that?

#31     Mar 12, 2013
  2. wjk

wjk

When I was in my single digits, I can assure you I burned more calories hunting for empty pop bottles than I consumed from the candy bar I bought with the profit.:)

#32     Mar 12, 2013
  3. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://camdenchildrensgarden.wordpress.com/save/

"Every School and community organization in the region who requests donations from the Children’s Garden for fundraisers, receives free tickets or memberships for the Garden. Over 10,000 Children from Camden are provided free admissions each year. University of Pennsylvania’s 2009 study of urban community gardens, found “Camden, NJ has perhaps the fastest growing community gardens in the country”. Since then, CCGC has tripled the number of gardens: 120 community gardens, 100 family gardens, and 12 school gardens. The City of Camden is a Top 9 US “Food Desert”, according to the USDA, and 12% of the population gets fresh food from our Gardens throughout the city. Today, Camden’s 120 community gardens produce an estimated $2.3 million in fresh produce each year, according a report by Domenic Vitiello, a University of Pennsylvania professor who has researched urban agriculture in Philadelphia, Camden, and Newark, N.J. Through the Youth Employment Program, over 300 of Camden’s Youth have received job training and gainful employment while continuing their education–only 1 dropped out of high school in a city with a 60% dropout rate. "

#33     Mar 12, 2013