Judge Halts New York City Soda Ban

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nutmeg, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Sounds like a personal problem to me.

failing to : just makes you stupid
    refusing to: Just makes you a dumbass liberal authoritarian

Which is it?

#21     Mar 12, 2013
  2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I must be getting too old ... I grew up and caddied at a golf course. Walked a minimum of 18 holes most days which was 4 hours and probably 5-6 miles. Some days we did 36 holes so double the walking and time outdoors. At even younger ages we shoveled snow in winter and cut grass for people in summers. Had a paper route at even younger age. Bottom line is kids today are lazy and want to sit around on Facebook, texting and playing with all their other electronics and eating cans of Pringles (or whatever else you want to fill in) and drinking tons of soda. It's an epidemic and I can't comprehend how/why a kid would want to look so bad physically. Part of blame goes to the parents who often are as out of shape and fat.

#22     Mar 12, 2013
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yep

#23     Mar 12, 2013
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Well, do you feel that those on food stamps (SNAP) should be allowed to spend those vouchers on soda and other "addictive" food? The NY Times article Nutmeg posted I read weeks ago. The food companies try to produce food that tastes so good but is total crap and at the same time addictive. Many people have little willpower and would rather eat crap than healthy stuff due to taste alone.

My wife started an outdoor garden classroom at a high poverty school where she's not a school district teacher but raised the $$$ to start this on her own. She has found that high poverty kids can change. They used to love the bags of chips, doritos, etc. Now they love Kale chips, collards, lettuce/salads, variety of tomatoes, etc. The fact they get to plant and harvest the fruits/vegetables and are simultaneously learning "science" also plays a role. But the earlier we get people on the road to eating healthy the less ingrained the habitual poor choices for diet are.

#24     Mar 12, 2013
  5. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Glad to see you added to your post count with zero value added.

Obviously you have no comprehension of the cumulative costs of health care and what the obese/overweight people, who have chronically more medical issues, cost all of us.

#25     Mar 12, 2013
  6. yes if you are going to bother giving them money you can't make them responsible what they do with it .
    If they were going to be responsible chances are they could feed themselves anyway.

Otherwise I have to pay twice 1x for the food and 1 time for the fucking wait while the rcg clone gets told by the cashier he can't buy that with food stamps. Then I have to wait while he ponders his fucking dilemma and puts the shit back or wanders off to find some substitute that is covered.

#26     Mar 12, 2013
  7. Obviously you started your post in an ill conceived manner.
    banning certain size drinks etc. has no bearing on the medical healthcare debate.

#27     Mar 12, 2013
  8. Ditto. When I was I kid, I did all of that... and when it snowed, I was out in the neighborhood checking to see which old folks had their lights on before everybody else... I'd ask to shovel their sidewalk. "Early bird gets the worm" sort of thing.

Do you think kids do that sort of thing today? (I've got 12,000 ft^2 of driveway... I'd LOVE for some kid to offer to work it off for me... but never yet!)

Politicos have "given too much to so many" as to destroy the work ethic and fabric of American society... all to coddle the parasite vote!

Isn't it clear to all how/why we are flushing ourselves down the toilet??

#28     Mar 12, 2013
  9. Wallet

Wallet

At one time the government gave "commodities" actual milk, butter, canned vegetables, fruit etc..... whole foods that were nutritious. you actually prepared the food, set down, usually as a family and ate.

Guess that causes too many problems?

#29     Mar 12, 2013
  10. Government screwed up when they decided to give even more... subsidies for housing, utilities, etc... and "looked the other way" when food stamp recipients bought tobacco, alcohol, lap dances... with taxpayer subsides.

#30     Mar 12, 2013