JTader with elocaltrading

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by andrasnm, Aug 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just21

just21

metooxx, I am in London and wanted to get a globex terminal but could not find a clearer. It may be easier in chicago. See www.transmarketgroup.com . I have traded the eminis over the internet from london using ib tws but am trading options at the moment as the delays shouldn't be an issue. I think the people with a globex terminal and direct connection will have an edge over people using the internet.

#21     Mar 29, 2002
  2. mbt3

mbt3

just21.

I too trade from London.
    If I'm correct (appologies if not)..having a Globex terminal will still require a trans lantic connection to the USA..

If your broker is in London using a point 2 point data line is (imo and experience) the best you can get. A London to London connection works out about £1900 per year (inc connection set up and vat).

If you have the stability (which BT will gaurantee on Kilostream products etc) I think the speed of fill will be the same (give or take a half second) as Globex terminal.

Just my 2 pennies worth having use TWS via interent and Pats via point 2 point line..and adsl for the US..

regards
    mbt3

#22     Mar 29, 2002
  3. DaveN

DaveN

The latest commission structure I knew of at eLocal was
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2910

I have to say that Navigator is right on the mark with the comment about the connection troubles and beta testing. I am no longer with them for that same reason.

#23     Mar 29, 2002
  4. Where did u move? IB?

#24     Mar 29, 2002
  5. sasha1

sasha1

DaveN, thanks for the link. So which platform are you using right now?

#25     Mar 29, 2002
  6. DaveN,
    you were very happy with elocal for months, it seems,
    but now you completely changed your mind. How come ?

#26     Mar 29, 2002
  7. just21

just21

mbt3, There is a cme globex node in london but I don't know of any individuals using it. I did tracert to the realtick server in chicago. I was going through 18 networks to get there in about 150ms. Realtick say less than 10 ms is good! Is adsl reliable? i hear a lot of horror stories so am using isdn into an uncontended internet port and unlimited calls for £99 +vat. Adsl is 50-1 contended on the consumer service.

#27     Mar 29, 2002
  8. mbt3

mbt3

just21

Yes the cme node, another member here (tom _p) I think mentioned this..With the Kyte group (broker) I was waiting and waiting for acces to Globex..as I understand it, this cme node was what Kyte and other brokers were waitng for inorder to give their clients access to globex.. It might not be cost efficient to try to set up private connection to cme as most good brokers in UK now offer it.

ms ping speeds are a law unto themselves. I get 10ms speed 24/7 on point to point line..I get 110ms average to US broker via adsl (pipex) and the speed of fill is the same. In fact I can trade on Eurex via US broker at same speed as trading on Eurex via UK broker..inspite of png ms speed.

Your internet connection sounds like the Pipex business deal (or similar)..i'm using Pipex adsl solo.. my experience is..up for nearly 3 months..24/7..with about 3 hours of some problem..£23 per month. and running 3 pc via 4 port router..The small amout of data being used means an adsl user will not really notice any difference within the 1:50 contention imo

as mentioned by Navigator..the brokers end of this will have as much to do with speed and stability..

Hope this helps.
    mbt3

#28     Mar 29, 2002
  9. mbt3

mbt3

just21

P.S.. I think I'm correct in saying that no ISP can offer a ping rate below about 100ms from UK to USA..regardless of contention..because of the technology..even if you go up to say a 2meg line..all that means is that you can send more info at the same speed. ( I think). Realtick may get 10ms from where they are on a T1 orT3 ( or US equivilant) But I don't think a trader really sees the speed difference as its all so fast.

hope this helps
    mbt3

#29     Mar 29, 2002
  10. stevet

stevet

The CME hub in London is new, and if you have a direct connection to a UK broker, who then has a direct connection to this hub - that is as good as it gets -

i understand that the globex terminal is a real pain and has not been developed - so a PATS with a Uk broker with the direct connections is probably the best route -

however unless you are scalpling bonds, you may do just fine with a good internet connection and a US broker with good routing and support

#30     Mar 29, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.