JPMorgan Wamu Deal

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by cszulc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ASav

ASav

My guess is that they were waiting for a deal to materialize before annoucing the seizure. Otherwise there would have been a run.

#31     Sep 25, 2008
  2. Nice to be a rich fat cat on Wall Street with friends in government - that always works. Family traditions and all...
    :)

#32     Sep 25, 2008
  3. Just a point of information....spoke to a bond trader friend of mine at GS, as far as stocks, common and preferred, they are worthless, but not so with the senior debt, not 100% covered but a good portion will be covered. Hope this helps some guys sleep better.

#33     Sep 25, 2008
  4. Trying to sort through the bondholder situation for WaMoo. If anyone spots an error or false assumption, please feel free to correct. I think it can benefit all of us to get a clearer, more accurate picture of the situation.

It appears WaMoo had approx $90B in unsecured debt. Further, it appears $55B-60B of that was to one party - FHLB (Federal Home Loan Bank). Less than two weeks ago, FHLB was given what appears to be an essentially unlimited, any-quality-collateral line of credit from the Treasury.

Assuming FHLB did the sensible thing and swapped the suspect unsecured debt for Treasuries, it appears the bulk of the blown-away debt is now held by the Treasury. This would suggest that my initial estimate that there was minimal impact on taxpayers is off by as much as $60B. :( Not sure it matters much that it's FHLB and not WaMoo benefitting from the largesse.

None of this is confirmed. If there is someone here who can confirm/correct this, I would be much obliged.

#34     Sep 25, 2008
  5. They claim there was a pseudo mini-run of $17bil starting on 9/15. That may have been what accelerated the situation. People not using their head thinking they lived in Potterville.

#35     Sep 25, 2008
  6. Peri

Peri

Therein lies the rub. The idea of the bail out is repugnant to many but no bail out and John Q runs the banks and they all fail? Wadda ya gonna do?

#36     Sep 25, 2008
  7. you know I bought property in florida a few years ago and pay my morgage to wm.
    Maybe I should just walk away from my obligations to give more debt to jpm.
    If the market falls apart who gives a shit about credit
    cash is king

#37     Sep 26, 2008
  8. Peri

Peri

9. cszulc

cszulc

#39     Sep 26, 2008
  10. Last Friday on the 19th, I went down to my local WAMU branch and they were having a "Customer Appreciation Day".

They were making people ice cream sundaes and root beer floats . . . You know something is up when they do that for you.

I had the root beer.
    :)

#40     Sep 26, 2008