JPM desperate to defend losing position on CDIs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by atticus, Apr 6, 2012.

1. antaram

antaram

I see 3.

---

By DAN FITZPATRICK And LIZ RAPPAPORT

J.P. Morgan ChaseJPM +0.25% & Co. has taken $2 billion in trading losses in the past six weeks and could face an additional $1 billion in second-quarter losses due to market volatility, Chief Executive James Dimon said Thursday in a hastily arranged conference call after the market closed.

#11     May 10, 2012

2. [​IMG]

lets hope that money goes to all of US!

#12     May 10, 2012
  3. sle

sle

Did you short the stock when you originally posted? I bot some Jun 40 puts (naked ref 47 or 45, can't remember) which I am sure will feel great tomorrow...

#13     May 10, 2012
  4. Haha, no I didn't touch it. I had intended on buying JPM vol on a move under 1350 SPX.

#14     May 10, 2012
  5. I can't believe it.

No, not that Jamie got caught with his head up his ass, but that a winning trade was posted here by someone other than me.

#15     May 10, 2012
  6. sle

sle

At the time of reading it felt just like the MS trade circa 2007, you know - the whole "I trade size" aspect, the direct link to the CEO, the conviction and the fact that some very smart funds eagerly took the other side of the trade. To quote a movie character, "when there is a doubt, there is no doubt".

#16     May 10, 2012
  7. #17     May 10, 2012
  8. Yes Mr. De Niro.

I wanted to like the idea enough to pull the trigger, but I thought that it wasn't the time to take a macro bet should a rally lift their CDI marks. I also thought the bbg story made the news discounted to an extent.

Honestly, I thought they'd fcuk with the marks enough to drag it into 2013. I still can't believe that Dimon allowed Ina Drew to take him down. She's always had a rep as being a complete degen gambler.

"Admit nothing. Deny everything. Demand proof, then refuse to accept it"

#18     May 10, 2012
  9. keep seeing a popup along the bottom of bloomberg channel about the amount being tied to volatility, with the potential for >$1B.

anyone know what is the source for this? thanks.

also, how closely, and how leveraged, would this tie to volatility be in these huge swaps from the london whale? since other large traders have mentioned being a counter party to some of these trades, would they then also know what vol. levels would cause enough pain in these bets of JPM's to force action?

(yes,... first post, finally.)
    --PFL

#19     May 10, 2012
  10. #20     May 10, 2012