Journal of index futures trading

Discussion in 'Journals' started by masterm1ne, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. @ 8512 (8000 starting) with futures account

@ 2649 (3000 starting) with forex account

Bah.. was up to 13k on Tuesday lol... I'm hanging on to my losing trades in gold and silver.

#111     Mar 23, 2011
  2. @ 8892 (8000 starting) with futures account

@ 2582 (3000 starting) with forex account

Got out of gold trade for 1 tick profit. Probably not going to trade silver again, as 1 day can easily equal 3k up or down. Should have been a little more patient, placed a sell limit a little higher, and had a close stop. Everyone's buy stops were taken out on the 23rd :/

• acc.png
      File size:
      154.4 KB
      Views:
    #112     Mar 25, 2011
  3. @ 9326 (8000 starting) with futures account

@ 2688 (3000 starting) with forex account

#113     Mar 27, 2011
  4. @ 7581 (8000 starting) with futures account

@ 2461 (3000 starting) with forex account

Still hanging on to silver for little reason.

#114     Apr 1, 2011
  5. Still short 1 QIK1 36.1750. Broke rule number one on this embarrassing trade.

#115     Apr 6, 2011
  6. Tapped out. Restarting soon. Original exit would have been 1k loss, which blossomed into -10k. F***in smart!

#116     Apr 9, 2011
  7. Handle123

Handle123

Normally I would give advise to someone like you that you will never make as a trader and to stop giving people like me all your money, but I doubt you will heed my advise. I was actaully rolling on the floor laughing when I saw your backtest of 68 sample size, I am still laughing about that. I do both very long term trading in commodities and day trading of indexes, currencies and energies. When I backtest for long term trades, I have tic data going back in most markets either to inception as a future or back thirty years, I need sample sizes of min of 3000 or back to inception on some markets for overnite trades. For day trading, I require 3000 plus sample size going back ten years.

You would offer more to your inner self if you didn't do anything for like three years except backtest ideas. For me to make any kind of a change to my methods, I first have to do insane amount fo backtesting first, what looks good over a few days, seldom works out good over a length of data.

But the worst of it all, is that you have a MAJOR EGO problems of needing to be right, so you can't pull the trigger to get out. As timeframe expands for me, my losing % goes up, some years I may lose as must as 80% of my future trades in so so years, but I have learned to hedge all my sells and often times make money in what would have been an outright lose. I been selling short Silver and Gold for awhile, no winning futures trades but hedges have worked out very well.

On a 10k account, many markets you should not even consider to trade, margins say much about the volatilty of a market, and with your size account, I would never trade anything above $1,999 and never risk more than 2.5% the account size, one futures contract to every 10k, you really don't understand how much you could truly lose, had Silver gone up limit for several days and no way for you to get out of your short position, loses could easily been beyond your account size.

#117     Apr 9, 2011
  8. Do I trade anything that is backtested for only 68 days? No. Please, make sure you give 10% of my money to charity.

Though you are convinced being a winner requires the certain things that you do, I am 100% sure it does not. I have proof for myself already. I know what my issues are and I continue to improve on them, because I can see it (trade/money management). And yes, being wrong is something most people don't like to be, so naturally that is a stumbling block. But guess what? I do the best I can to learn from it.

I really like the fact you know I have MAJOR EGO problems just from what little I have typed on this forum! I had 1 mis-managed trade out of like 20 before it, but of course that's all you see. If you want my trade logs, I can prove it.

Remember that good old saying about how, the past is no guarantee of the future? That in reality negates all the back testing you could ever do... And like I said before, you don't NEED all that garbage to do well.

I could explain more of my philosophy here, but I'd rather not, as I would be wasting my breath.

"...you really don't understand how much you could truly lose, had Silver gone up limit for several days and no way for you to get out of your short position, loses could easily been beyond your account size..."

Actually, I do. By broker uses an auto liquidation feature that won't allow me to lose more than my account value (get with the times), and I could and did have a stop set, they just get canceled after a trading session, and I chose not to set another one.

#118     Apr 14, 2011
  9. Was long silver and natural gas last night. Had stops too close to prevent losing money.

Still short ZLK1 @ 0.6033 (soybean oil), COF10N1 @ 2503 (robusta coffee).

#119     Apr 14, 2011
  10. Up and trading again. Going to make a new thread, as my methods have changed quite a lot...

#120     Aug 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.