Journal of ashes and Eminis

Discussion in 'Journals' started by phoenix_rising, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Just to respond to the overtrading remarks on their own. I realize I made more trades today than is "wise". However, I was aware of it the entire time and chose to continue not with a mindset of revenge. I was actually rather relaxed as I went, all things considered. I was trading to learn and learning to trade. Right or wrong, time will tell. I do know I am not going to learn to scalp any time soon by just making three or four trades a day.

#11     Oct 15, 2002
  2. Aiki

Aiki

I trade most of the time without looking at the volume.

My trading charts are simple. They have 20 period moving averages and 200 perioud moving averages.

I look at 7 charts all the time on one 19" monitor.
    I watch the 2minute, 5, 15, 30, 60, 120, and Daily charts.
    I watch them act in concert.

If I were to take a 5 minute setup without knowing first what the 15min and 30min and 60min charts were doing....I think I would be getting killed too.

Take a seriously look at knowing what the slightly larger time frames are doing than just the one you are trading on.

#12     Oct 15, 2002
  3. Agreed. Very backwards. I had 1:3 instead of 3:1. That is a big problem with my initial plan to pick up two ticks at a time. That obviously was a bad idea, because it is nearly impossible to give an wiggle room to the trade and accomplish even a 1:1 ratio. Though, I had honestly hoped to have a very high win/loss trade ratio to partly offset such bad stop (lack of) system.

True, buy I can't live on 10K a year. I would be perfectly happy with two points a day if I can scale up to at least five contracts. So maybe my goal should initially be to just make two points with one contract.

Good philosophy, which I agree with. I just need to come up with my definition of the best setups. Hopefully time and experience will render the answers.

#13     Oct 15, 2002
  4. Aiki,

Are you trading ES with this setup?

#14     Oct 15, 2002
  5. Hmmm.... My 5 minute bar chart has a grey background with red and green candles. The tick line chart has a red and green backround, where it is green above a 2000 tick moving average and red below the 2000 tick moving average.

Maybe that's my problem? :)

I would respectfully disagree. I do have what I consider to be a good understanding of the markets. I new it would be choppy today, hence the scalping and the ignoring of my possible trend system. I would agree that my knowledge (or maybe better, "feeling") of scalping itself seems to be weak. Early on I had considered not playing today, but the urge to get some practice did convince me to give it a shot.[/B][/QUOTE]

#15     Oct 15, 2002
  6. Aiki

Aiki

Yes, I trade the NQ and the ES with this monitor setup.

#16     Oct 15, 2002
  7. At one time I did have a lot of charts like that, but for pure scalping I would think it would be way to distracting. I would love to trade a pure tick chart and nothing else. That is my ideal. Will it happen? We shall see.

#17     Oct 15, 2002
  8. tampa

tampa

Nice color selection - so that's not the problem.

But just a thought - scalping works best in a trending market. Always has, always will...

#18     Oct 15, 2002
  9. I certainly didn't prove that wrong today. :)

Thanks for the advice.

#19     Oct 15, 2002
  10. Somewhat on-topic...

would you trade a system that wins 80% of the time, loses 20% of the time....

but winners are 2 points, losses are 5 points.

If the percentages are correct it's profitable, but what about the streak of 3 or 4 losses in a row? (or only 1 or 2 wins in 7 or 8 trades)

Lastly, a poster above stated that after the gap opening the last 3 days it was a range bound market. Isn't this just hind-sight? Couldn't the markets just as easily started to sell off today (or prior days) after the gap opening, thus creating a downward trending market after the gap opening?

Thanks for answering the above.

#20     Oct 15, 2002