Jon Stewart reveals the essence of Republican hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gabfly1, Dec 14, 2010.

#51     Dec 14, 2010
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

personally, i enjoy stewart rants, and his show overall. occasionally, he goes off half-cocked without any real understanding of the issue, just for good TV. this appears to be one of those times. i listened to the whole clip, and do not admittedly know all too much on the particular bill he is referring to or why it appears republicans (who are to blame here) rejected the "health care for first responders" bill. i would like to learn a bit more before i take a comedian's typically one-sided rant to heart.

secondly, comparing this bill to a bill where funds were held up to troops in Iraq, simply because money in both places went missing at one point is not even remotely a similar comparison. in one case, you have some firemen/policemen looking for health benefits (which they should be able to get under obamacare now anyway so i dont even understand the argument or the bill's purpose) and on the other hand, you have a standing army whose life or death of it's troops depends on getting funding to continue war operations.

totally and completely two different circumstances. calling them the same shows true ignorance and is beyond even the level if silliness we see from stewart regularly.

lastly, the montage showing republicans saying 9-11 can easily be substituted with a democrat montage on any broad range of issues in which they are now against, but vocally stood for in other occasions. this means nothing other than politicians play to the audience in front of them - regardless of party.

#52     Dec 14, 2010
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

how many forums do you participate regularly (at least once a day) which center around the politics of any of the countries you mentioned?

#53     Dec 14, 2010
  4. Really? That's it? So the only take-away you got from the whole segment is your obtuse interpretation that he equated the two circumstances? Which, in fact, he did not. The parallel was more nuanced and added largely to highlight double-speak of a whole new order of magnitude. Let me say it again: the comparison was tangential and only used to illustrate the depth and breadth of Republican hypocrisy. For some reason, that part escaped you and didn't register. How very surprising. How did you manage to miss the central theme about the Republicans being fully prepared to deny first responders required aid if the top 2% of income earners didn't also get their "aid?" Sure, TT, the egg is on Stewart's face, uh-huh.

#54     Dec 14, 2010
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

the more i read this forum, the more i realize how much of a narrow-viewed gasbag you really are.

as i continue to read up on the topic, i find some interesting points.

13 republicans voted for the bill. given the majority the dems have, why did they enter a motion to require it to have 2/3rds majority in order to pass? this is an interesting comment from a blogger i read:

"It was all for show so they could get the cspan sound bite and continue to paint the Republicans as the party of no. Even Chuck Todd(filling in for Chris Mathews) saw and pointed out the deception. "

hmm.

i agree that the legislation itself should be passed (and paid for - not just added to the debt) but this isn't about the legislation. this is about politics showmanship. stewart missed that.

the GOP said it isn't voting on anything until the tax cuts get passed. anything. the dems knew this and threw this bill on the altar of sacrifice in order to make the GOP look bad. It worked, as many people fell for it.

the dems don't care for the bill any more than the republicans do.

#55     Dec 14, 2010
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Gabby a legend...in his own mind.

#56     Dec 14, 2010
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Curious? No problem in fact probably healthy. Obsessed? Not so healthy, but then they're two different things now aren't they?. Do you go to forums in Russia, Europe etc. and tell others that they're too stupid to know whats best for themselves AND while doing so talk as if you're a citizen of those countries?
    I don't think so either, but then I can't imagine a normal PASSIVE curiosity chapping anyone's ass, let alone mine.

My "problem" is with his haughty arrogant condescending self righteous Buttinski obsession with OUR politics, economics and policies.

IF that's what you mean, I guess so.

#57     Dec 14, 2010
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

I doubt it. I think they prefer men who bathe.

#58     Dec 14, 2010
  9. Quite enough to be informed.

#59     Dec 14, 2010
  10. I go to many forums across the global. Do you?

I'm a trader...this is what I do.

I think you said it best when you admitted that this is your problem.

#60     Dec 14, 2010