Jon Stewart catches Ben Bernanke in a lie about "printing money" video tape here

Discussion in 'Economics' started by retaildaytrader, Dec 9, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Wow, I didn't realize that $600 billion was involved every time someone moved money from a savings to a checking account. Learn something new every day...

#21     Dec 10, 2010
  2. Yeah well, it does when the entire financial system is involved.

#22     Dec 10, 2010
  3. MKTrader

MKTrader

So your analogy is off. The gov't is printing $600B and buying bonds. Just admit it...

#23     Dec 10, 2010
  4. Isn't it just semantics? Isn't the result more important?

Like, if banks were just sitting on those reserves, then we shouldn't see anything inflating. Do you see anything inflating?

#24     Dec 10, 2010
  5. MKTrader

MKTrader

Uh, cotton, wheat, gold, oil. You know..things that aren't hedonically-adjusted. But that's another discussion.

#25     Dec 10, 2010
  6. Not through QE. I do support "printing" money by the government though. I'm not talking QE, I'm talking budget deficits. The government should aggresively cut income taxes in order to increase the amount of money that's available for spending and debt retirement by families. Contrary to uninformed believe this does not mean that our children will have to pay off more debt. The government is not operationally constrained by the issuing of debt. Government debt is issued instead as way to absorb the increased private sector savings that go along with the public sector deficits. Public deficits mean private surpluses and that's what we need to see right now.

#26     Dec 10, 2010
  7. the1

the1

Exactly. Once he said this he leaned forward, crossed his legs, held his arms close to his body, and made an expression with only one part of his face. That is a classic sign of lying.

#27     Dec 10, 2010
  8. sprstpd

sprstpd

Is the1 short for "Tim Roth"?

#28     Dec 10, 2010
  9. MKTrader

MKTrader

I don't have any ideaological problems with your other points, though I think it's likely the U.S. will default on its debt one day (rather than hyperinflate) regardless of what they do now.

Back to QE. We'll have to agree to disagree. The $600B has to originate from somewhere. It's not a transaction cost. In the two analogies below, it's the (b) scenario.

(a) I walk into a bank, open a new checking account by transferring all the money from my checking account. Nothing gained or lost. Zero sum game.

(b) I walk into a bank and walk out with $5,000 in U.S. Treasuries without touching my checking/savings accounts or spending anything else out-of-pocket.

#29     Dec 10, 2010
  10. the1

the1

Of course it is. Do you remember me in Pulp Fiction? Do you want my autograph?

#30     Dec 10, 2010