Joint fileing, or separate?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mrbud, Mar 2, 2003.

1. mrbud

mrbud

Hey guys, got married last year.

We would like to file separate returns but the accountant advised against it. He said we could not itemize our deductions if separate. Also said we would have to split property tax expense if separate.

Any ideas? How are you guys doing it?

2. gnome

gnome

Why would you want to file separately unless it reduced overall tax bite? Suggest you calculate it both ways. (We always do, and it always comes out better to file jointly.... maybe not in your case, though.)

3. First of all, my sincerest condolensces :D:D

If you use a commercial tax package like TaxCut it will calculate it both ways and tell you which results in a lower tax bill.

4. mrbud

mrbud

Thanks guys.

The wife gets a letter from the IRS every few years asking about a small problem that was straightened out years ago. {on her return}

It seems to keep coming back to haunt her. I don't want to get invloved and would rather stay separate.

Also....I'm always crying poor. I don't want the wife to see what's going on . Lol.

I'll compare them both ways. If it's not much of a difference, I'll keep them separate.

Thank's again.

5. "Also....I'm always crying poor. I don't want the wife to see what's going on . Lol. "

good way to start a marriage.lol