Joining the CME gang

Discussion in 'Journals' started by hilmy83, Jul 17, 2019.

1. hilmy83

hilmy83

got this guy for future gaming. not the most extreme performance, but it will play two of my anticpated games at high quality (cyberpunk and baldurs gate 3)
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-ge...tb-ssd-aluminum-black/6409059.p?skuId=6409059

so far i like it. the fans going like jet engine at ultra settings

IMG-20200923-WA0000.jpg

plus redragon keyboard/mouse, cooling pad, and new desk. those are impluses lol

selling my ps4 and dont think i'll upgrade to ps5. I think i'm staying true to my good old pc gaming going forward.

#601     Sep 26, 2020
    beginner66 likes this.
  2. One of the best reasons to come on Elite is to find calls to fade.

#602     Sep 26, 2020
  3. That sucks, @hilmy83.

You have not shared any specifics on strategy and I'm not even sure if you're interested in any feedback at all. But reading between the lines it seems like your basic strategy is scaling into trades. If you're right on the trade the pay-off is great as you're adding to winners. If you're wrong on the trade, you'll average down as price moves against you and usually get out for a small profit or a scratch betting on the market to mean-revert back to your average.

But once in while shit hits the fan without mean-reverting and that's when you take those really big hits. And I bet those big hits causes you to get emotional and revenge trade as well such that you lose even more.

Scaling and allowing for some inexactitude on entries is fine, but it needs to be done according to a plan and some maximum risk criteria. Just averaging down endlessly on maximum day trading margin is a disaster waiting to happen. Sadly, that disaster already happened.

I was a big fan of Baldurs Gate back in the day. Not much time for games beyond the biggest game of them all after I learned about that one 10 years ago.

Have fun. :)

#603     Sep 26, 2020
    Axon and NoahA like this.
  4. Evgeniy

Evgeniy

Hilmy, try to enter the "inside/outside of the previous day" criterion. I managed:
    July: inside +12-0, outside +6-4;
    August: inside +11-2, outside +5-3;
    September: inside +11-0, outside +3-4.

#604     Sep 27, 2020
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Actually, he did in the beginning of the thread although just basic info about the entry.

Yet, not the entire strategy from entry to exit although I'm not sure if he's still using the same entry strategy that he wrote about in the beginning.

I'm just guessing but I think he's realized the weakness in reacting to the changing volatility in the markets.

Also, although he's not doing live video sessions of his trading on Youtube...I suspect those big losing trading days are still a result of problematic position size management involving increasing the position size after trade losses when the volatility doesn't support such...it was a problem I noticed immediately in those live video sessions on Youtube of his trading.

wrbtrader

#605     Sep 27, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  6. hilmy83

hilmy83

So unofficial losses are about -34k. I think right now, i'm net -4.2k in withdrawals, and 21k gross profits for the year. Like I said, if this continues one more month, the whole year would've been wasted. Will wait for the statements to confirm, but this time i will have both Dorman and AMP's monthly

So far, i think Tradovate is working fine. One thing i will say is, they are EXPENSIVE if you are just a regular free member. To see any advantage over AMP in terms of cost, you have to sign up with the commission free subscription. Plus the extra costs if you don't trade with their platform. I personally don't believe in using broker's own platform in placing trades, there has to be separation.

Also, tradovate's customer service is horribly slow. They will respond to your questions hours later and this is during regular trading hours!! AMP always respond within minutes. And Dorman completely shuts down at 5pm, i mean wtf, no one answers the phone or email after 5pm cst.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    #606     Sep 30, 2020
    Gaslight Capital likes this.
  7. hilmy83

hilmy83

there's always a retard in every firm i guess

Capture.JPG

#607     Sep 30, 2020
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Re: margin, don't blame broker. That is nothing unusual at all.

#608     Sep 30, 2020
  9. Overnight

Overnight

It's not that they are retarded. It is that they are a fairly small firm, and they sometimes miss the little details in updating their web page that lists the margins.

If the day-trade requirement differing between $500 and $1000 is important to you and would make or break you, you should not be trading the instrument because you are over levered.

Hilmy, you are better than this. Don't shit on AMP because of an oversight on the webpage. It has happened many times before, and that is probably an artifact from the spring when they doubled the day-trade margins due to volatility. They just forgot to correct that one line.

#609     Sep 30, 2020
  10. hilmy83

hilmy83

it's not whether it is 500 or 1000. I asked the guy what the ATH margins are and he said it's 500. Where on that page does it say that? there used to be a note that says 25% of maintenance for ATH, but it's not there, but at the same time the day margins still says 1000. it's all confusing shit.

This is the same shit they pulled when they just changed margins from 500 to 4000 ATH. i don't mind dealing with higher margins, but for god's sake, be fucking consistent, and update the damn page. they don't even send emails anymore. hence i moved to tradovate, but maybe they will pull the same shit near elections time who knows..

#610     Sep 30, 2020