John Templeton RIP

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

His foundation gives away $60 million per year -- money given to worthy causes and used productively. Beats the heck out of giving that same $$$ to the government and them wasting it.

#21     Jul 8, 2008
  2. So schools, hospitals, defence arent good causes then? He may have sent his money to good causes but neither of us know that it wasnt wasted. My point was when you give away money that wasnt really as noble as made out. Similar thing over here with Richard Pratt who gave a lot of money away but now it appears he earned a lot of money through collusive price fixing so in effect he was giving away money he had in effect stolen through higher prices.

The 100mill or whatever Tempelton avoided is money that had to be found elsewhere ie the American taxpayer and while it maybe a small amount in the big scheme the point remains valid. You paid for it and you are here congratulating him. Werid!!

#22     Jul 8, 2008

3. how do you know?

surf:confused:

#23     Jul 8, 2008
  4. nevadan

nevadan

Bullshit.

#24     Jul 8, 2008
  5. According to the above post, Templeton gave up his citizenship in 1962, and sold his company in 1992, around 30 years later.

Whatever you may think of his denouncing his American citizenship, he did it 3 decades before there was the taxable event. So the two appear to be unrelated.

Oldtrader

#25     Jul 8, 2008
  6. sumosam

sumosam

When I was much younger, I heard Sir T. speak. He said that anytime is a good time to buy stocks. I was young and stupid and believed him. several years later, i still remember what he said...can"t help thinking less of him

Taxes do help to pay for schools, hospitals, public disasters. We all "give money away in this regard"....but we don't get a tax deduction for paying our taxes.

#26     Jul 8, 2008
  7. this is some of the kind of stuff he was funding. i would classify it as a waste of money.
    http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/04.06/05-prayer.html

Prayers don't help heart surgery patients
    Some fare worse when prayed for
    By William J. Cromie
    Harvard News Office

Many - if not most - people believe that prayer will help you through a medical crisis such as heart bypass surgery. If a large group of people outside yourself, your family, and your friends add their prayers, that should be even more helpful, or so such reasoning goes.

Researchers have been trying to prove this and even to measure the effect of prayer. Since 1988, at least two studies have found that third-party prayers bestow benefits, but two others concluded that there are no benefits. These and other studies have been soundly criticized for flaws in both method and outcome. The fuzzy results goaded researchers to conduct the largest and most scientifically rigid investigation to date. It covered 1,802 people who underwent coronary bypass surgery at six different hospitals from Oklahoma City to Boston. The cost was $2.4 million, paid by the John Templeton Foundation and the Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation of Memphis.

#27     Jul 8, 2008
  8. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

LOL

#28     Jul 8, 2008
  9. Avoiding taxes is being a true american.

America was founded to avoid the super high taxes imposed by Britons.

We no longer have low taxes, so the true american spirit is lost. Renouncing to citizenship is being a patriot a heart. May sound ironic but it's true.

#29     Jul 8, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

Ditto! Few ETers realize that the Gummint is working a plan to confiscate all it can from everybody, either directly or indirectly... it's "government at the expense of the people".

#30     Jul 8, 2008