John Paulson says to buy a house RIGHT NOW, do you agree?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by retaildaytrader, May 18, 2010.

Generally speaking, is now a good time to buy a house?

1. Buy a house right now.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Wait 6-12 months before buying

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. Wait 1-2 years before buying

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Wait 2-4 years before buying

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Wait at least 5 years before buyin

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. you're right, it's not in the interest of governments and banks to have deflation.

but we're in a global world and there is only a limited amount of QE you can have before you start alienating yourself from international investors. I think we're close this limited amount. Once you go beyond it, that's what could be termed the nuclear QE option where a Zimbabwe situation becomes possible.

I see 40% no inflation (only inflation in financial assets), 30% inflation (5%+ p.a.) and 30% deflation.

Before the European crisis and recent decisions to implement austerity measures, we were more like 60%, 30%, 10%.

#11     May 18, 2010
  2. TGregg

TGregg

In a sense, the debtor is now even worse off. Instead of addressing the problem, he's created a temporary solution to one of the symptoms. His blood pressure and cholesterol is up, but he's on blood thinners and statins so it's a wash. Might as well stop off at the BK Drive Thru for another Triple Whopper with cheese and bacon.

#12     May 18, 2010
  3. There is risk in everything. If you fear the gov't taking your real estate, by taxation or eminent domain, by all means buy gold. Then you need to worry about your gold being stolen. Perhaps the thief will be the masked robber who ties you and your family up, perhaps the thief will be the gov't who outlaws private ownership as happened under Roosevelt.

#13     May 18, 2010
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Of course, its "ALWAYS" a good time to buy a house, no matter what the economy is doing no matter what real estate is doing they always yell that its a great time to buy a house or two. Last year I was looking at some places near me, wasn't looking to buy, just wanted to see what was going on in the market around my area, well fast forward a year later and I can tell you some of the houses I saw a year ago are still on the market today and not only that but some have been reduced as much 30-35% from last year.

They don't have a clue what they are talking about, prices aren't going up ANYTIME SOON, the only places you might see prices being bid up are in areas where prices have fallen 60-70% like in FL or CA, other areas will see housing prices flat to down over the next 5 years+ and when rates start to finally move back up it will put even more pressure on real estate prices going forward. Rates aren't staying at 0% forever and 30 year mortgage rates being driven artificially lower will start to spring upwards once again. There is no need to go out and buy a house now, if there is a second dip in this economy housing prices will dip much further and that will set off more programs to push people back into the market to buy just like the free $8000 being offered just recently. Prices have been stabilized and propped up with free stimulus and programs to keep people in their foreclosures, if it were not for that you might actually get a chance of buying a house for its true market value.

#14     May 18, 2010
  5. dtan1e

dtan1e

maybe Paulson has already bought lots of houses and hope that u will all go in and support his price !!

#15     May 18, 2010
  6. He bought >$500MM in residential housing and entitled land in Q1 2008. So let's assume he's underwater on the 2008 buys. Do you really think this $25MM bet on BZH is material?

This thread isn't worthy of chit-chat.

#16     May 18, 2010
  7. LOL. Tell 'em what you really think RA.

:)

#17     May 18, 2010
  8. lol, well he's now into two threads due to a $25MM purchase by a $33B fund. Paulson's firm earns more from mgmt fees in two weeks than they spent on BZH.

I posted a thread about Paulson in 2/08 after talking to the REIT manager who invested for Paulson in the space. He's been talking up RE since his position went public in late-2008. How's that been working?

#18     May 18, 2010
  9. He must be long real estate.

#19     May 18, 2010