John McCain unloads on the tea party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

He's right to slam the tea party. Their misdirected ire and near-religious zealotry is crippling the gop and making a joke of America.

#11     Jul 28, 2011
  2. Lol!

#12     Jul 28, 2011
  3. "John McCain unloads on the tea party"

Guess it's still a mystery to him why he didn't win the election...

#13     Jul 28, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

"But despite Boehner's effort to quell dissent within his party -- two GOP sources said he called on fellow Republicans to "get your ass in line" -- some Republican lawmakers are adamant they will not follow suit.

"I'm not on board," Rep. Phil Gingrey of Georgia, part of the Tea Party caucus, told CNN Thursday. Boehner's plan is "the next best thing, but quite honestly the best thing is cap, cut, and balance," said Gingrey, referring to a plan to cut and cap spending and pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution that includes spending caps and makes it difficult to raise federal taxes.

"We need that desperately," Gingrey said of the amendment, adding that throughout many Congresses controlled by both parties, "we just keep spending." An amendment is "the only way we can constrain ourselves," he said.

"This takes guts. This is a tough vote," he said. "I love my speaker. And I have deep respect for our leadership." Gingrey said even if the battle continues past August 2 -- the deadline for raising the debt ceiling or avoiding potential default -- he considers it worth it to get an amendment passed. "We have a leverage point here," he said. "We have a unique opportunity." He said he does not believe the United States will default on its debt."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/28/debt.talks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

#14     Jul 28, 2011
  5. LeeD

LeeD

Bit his son Rand Paul, who recently got elected into Senate, is... and has very close views on most subjects.

It depends on whether they accept campaign donations from major banks...

#15     Jul 30, 2011