John McCain calls tea party republicans foolish and naive.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 29, 2011.

1. McCain said this goal is utterly unrealistic given Democratic control of the Senate. A balanced-budget amendment would need the support of 20 members of the Senate Democratic Caucus to pass.

"What is really amazing about this is that some members are believing that we can pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution in this body with its present representation -- and that is foolish," he said. "That is worse than foolish. That is deceiving many of our constituents."

McCain said he supports a balanced-budget amendment and voted for one 13 times but thinks its unrealistic to demand one now with a potential national default only six days away.

He implied that conservative freshmen who think it's possible to sway enough Democrats are naïve.

"That is not fair to the American people, to hold out and say we won't agree to raising the debt limit until we pass a balanced-budget amendment to the Constitution," McCain said. "It's unfair, it's bizarre. And maybe some people [who] have only been in this body for six or seven months or so really believe it."

And the Wall Street Journal is getting in on the act too:

McCain cited the Wall Street Journal's editorial to back up his argument.
    "The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue, and the public will turn en masse against ... Barack Obama," he said, quoting the paper. "The Republican House that failed to raise the debt ceiling would somehow escape all blame. Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced-budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the Tea Party Hobbits could return to Middle Earth having defeated Mordor."

McCain warned that House Tea Party conservatives would give President Obama a major political victory by rejecting Boehner's plan to increase the debt limit.

Quoting the Journal again, McCain said: "If conservatives defeat the Boehner plan they will not only undermine their House majority, they will go far [toward] reelecting Mr. Obama and making entitlements that much harder to reform."

2. Since some of you are unfamiliar with McCain's peculiar reasoning, I'll translate:

"I am happy to cast meaningless votes for stuff I know won't pass, just soI can strut around pretending to be a budget hawk, but when the big boys give me my marching orders, i do like any good soldier would and fall into line. Like I did with TARP. These Tea Party yokels are making me look bad, and as anyone who knows me can attest, I take everything personally, so I will use my media connections to go after them. Hehehehm the thing is, the media loves to have me on to attack other republicans so it's a win-win for me. It's good to be me, I am married to a wealthy woman, I have no responsibilities and I love to piss on anyone who doesn't kiss my ass like Lindsey Graham does. "

3. Ricter

Ricter

Coincidentally, it is also the "peculiar" reasoning of the majority of the public.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

The same McCain you lamb basted non stop in 2008 and now suddenly you're embracing his words?

5. "Lamb basted?" Seriously? Must be tough being from another country.

6. bone

bone

I call John McCain foolish and naive.

Saul Alinsky would be proud of the Tea Party tactics. They campaigned and won with one simple message: do not spend more money than you're taking in.

These are great times in our Republic !

When you have the partisan hacks on Fox and MSNBC equally flummoxed and befuddled and exasperated you have true, legitimate Democracy at work.

Rejoice !

Regardless of your political stripes clear thinking politicos will give the devil his due: This group of Anarchists has completely changed the trajectory of thinking in Washington and the MSM.

Now, it is about Spending. The nexus is upon us where a BBA, a simpler and more fair tax code, and above all a focus on spending has taken center stage.

Rejoice !

7. He is from Georgia, and not Metro-Atl. either, give him a break:D

8. Not being from Metro-Atl would confer a much better education. Presumably you've heard about the "equality" driven exam scandal (where "benign" was defined as what you be, after you be eight, and marked as "correct"). Perhaps him not having to suffer the Atlanta education which you're a product of would explain the cognitive "inequality" we can observe between the two of you. :D

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2753940/posts

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Exactly, you couldn't pay me enough to live in metro ATL.

10. Some of the northern enclaves are nice though, like Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. I like North Atlanta. However, I couldn't even begin to pretend that Metro Atl has good education by any standard, particularly not when compared to the suburbs and exurbs. This 'inequality' seems to show up nearly everywhere we see certain demographic conditions.

#10     Jul 30, 2011