John McCain addresses conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Feb 8, 2008.

1. the left is going to have a field day with this old fool:

<object width="500" height="418"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYhBkeCJaTg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYhBkeCJaTg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="500" height="418"></embed></object>

#31     Feb 13, 2008
  2. The issue I struggle with is whether McCain might be so terrible as president that the democrats take over for the next 30 years. The Republican party is severely damaged by the Bush fiasco and cannot tolerate another backstabbing incompetent.

Obama will clearly be a total disaster. His policies, if actually implemented, would pretty much wreck the country, destroy the economy, leave us defenseless and ruin the health care system.

The problem is Obama might do so much damage that it is irreversible.

What a choice.

#32     Feb 13, 2008
  3. I guess the conventional thinking is that Obama will beat McCain due to heavy democratic participation in the primary process so far.

If Hillary becomes the nominee on the backs of superdelegates and by finagling Mich and Fla, we could see such a psychological letdown among democrats that McCain could win without conservative goodwill.

That's 1/10 analysis and 9/10 hope of course. :D

#33     Feb 13, 2008
  4. LT701

LT701

it really does suck, doesnt it

im inclined to let obama win, if my only alternative is to vote for mccain, for 2 reasons

1) it tells the party they will get 'return to sender' when they send a piece of sh-t rino phoney like mccain as the only choice, and warns them not to play chicken with the base again

2) mccain really wouldnt be that much better than obama, but it would be easier to rally congressional resistence against an absurd president like obama (ugh, how depressing to write that), than a traitor like mccain, a rino with an elephant on his lapel who would get both democrats like kennedy and sellout republicans 'supporting the republican president' as an excuse for stabbing the base in the back

#34     Feb 13, 2008
  5. I agree, however it's not like McCain was selected in a back room by party bosses. Bottom line, our guys lost. I'm torn. I don't like or trust McCain, but I can't see how he would be as bad as the democrat.

#35     Feb 13, 2008
  6. LT701

LT701

remember, what made bill clinton's presidency, was the organized resistence in 1994 by gingrich. clinton would have been a disaster without it. gridlock is good, when you're heading in the wrong direction

frankly, i think we're better off with republicans opposing a democrat president, than supporting a pinhead republican president

think what a disaster bush has been

#36     Feb 13, 2008

7. With respect to number one above, your solution would be good if it was the party leadership responsible for sending us this one choice. Unfortunately, that was not the case. He won this thing by vote, against competition, and as unfortunate as it is, by our party.

The history of this type of thing, a lesson I learned watching Bob Dole get clobbered, is that the moderates in the party will say it's all conservatives fault. If you're looking for them to apologize after this fiasco, you'll have a long wait.

#37     Feb 13, 2008
  8. 100 years in Iraq? I doubt a democrat can do worse than that.

And who do you think the republican minority in Congress is going to fight harder on immigration, Barack Obama or the leader of their party? It's a no-brainer, they will fight like crazy against an amnesty bill promoted and supported by a democratic president, the same bill supported by a republican president will face significantly less opposition.

#38     Feb 13, 2008
  9. All true, but the next president will appoint a lot of judges, including probably a couple to the Supreme Court. McCain's worst possible pick could not possibly be as bad as anyone Obama or Hillary would select. And we know the spineless Senate republicans will just roll over for whomever the democrats send up, like they did with Ruth Bader Ginsberg. If they aren't willing to oppose the general counsel of the ACLU, who would they oppose? I'm not even talking about fighting tooth and nail, filibustering,etc all the dirty tactics democrats use to block conservative judges. They actually voted in favor of confirming her. Can you imagine how many democrat votes the general counsel of say the NRA would get?

We also know we will get a hefty tax increase with any democrat. That is baked in, part of their platform and there is nothing republicans can do to stop it. Budget resolutions are not subject to filibuster. All it takes is a majority.

I wouldn't be all that terrified of a President Hillary facing a republican-controlled congress, but that is not going to happen. Democrats have a lock on the congress and will increase it this election. Congressional republicans are in disarray, lack leadership and have no coherent platform or voice. 20 million illegal immigrants voting is not going to help them either.

#39     Feb 13, 2008
  10. #40     Feb 13, 2008