John McCain addresses conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Feb 8, 2008.

1. He'd better hope that two things happen.

1) Hillary wins the DEM nomination

2) He chooses the right conservative VP.

If both of these don't happen he is toast in the fall. As much as I'd like to see Mitt as VP to add some sense of intelligence to the ticket, that won't ever happen. I would be ok with VP Huck as he would start pushing hard for tax reform. I don't think Huck gets the VP nod either though.

Huck put himself in a tough spot. While Mitt was still in it, Huck was appealing as a source of additional delegates for Mac. Now Mac doesn't need him really. Sure Huck is strong among evangelicals, but those are the people who generally vote GOP on a consistent basis anyway. They would rather vote for a marginal GOP candidate than a good DEM candidate.

As it stands I don't see any DEM leaning states that Mac can pull off during the general. The states that he used to beat Mitt will certainly vote DEM in the general. As I see it, VP Mitt would help Mac's chances the most in the general. Mitt can possibly deliver Mass, Mich, and Nevada. Mitt also increases Mac's econ cred. Not gonna happen, but IMO it would be smart of Mac.

#11     Feb 8, 2008
  2. I couldn't easily find the really funny photo of McCain. The one that said CONSERVATIVE on giant letters. Yeah, right, a conservative now. Doubt it.

c

#12     Feb 8, 2008
  3. Look, I have been attacking McCain for weeks. He is a prick. He looked idiotic dodging that immigration question. He will face a huge uphill battle in the general election when the media drops him and starts raising questions about his age and the circumstances of his dropping wife number one for a beautiful heiress 18 years his junior.

All I'm saying is his speech yesterday was pretty darn good and represented a good start in getting conservatives back in the fold. When he lost a tough primary battle in 2000, he swallowed his pride and supported Bush enthusiastically. Reagan did the same thing in 1976. Even Pat Buchanan grudgingly supported Bush 41 in 1992. This year conservatives do not even have a candidate. Romney is a great guy, but he has never been a movement conservative. When faced with the alternative of Obama/Hillary, I just think most conservatives will accept that sometimes in politics you have to accept half a loaf.

I realize this is a total about-face for me, but the huge issues with McCain come down to two basic points, immigration and McCain-Feingold. He has at least pulled back on immigration. Any democrat will push hard for open borders/amnesty and will go all out as well to reinstate the "Fairness Doctrine" and use it to silence their most hated enemy, talk radio. So bottom line, he can't possibly be any worse.

The next president will most likely nominate several Supreme Court justices. I don't have much confidence in McCain here either, but his worst conceivable pick will be far better than anyone a democrat will come up with.

I think we will see a drawn-out negotiation between McCain and conservatives over the next few weeks. Both sides know the score, ie McCain cannot win without them but they have no where else to go. Conservatives will get firm promises on a few important issues and perhaps a veto power over the VP, ie no Lieberman. McCain will get a more or less united party.

#13     Feb 8, 2008
  4. I understand that, I don't understand how it justifies his position on immigration and why on earth I should give a damn about his political maneuvering and lose-lose situations.

It's very simple indeed, he created his own problem in the first place, he was the one who was shoving his amnesty bill down our throats and not once but twice, he is the one who is 100% responsible for this mess. If he can't find a reasonable way out, save face, resolve the situation and unequivocally condemn any form of amnesty I see absolutely no reason to trust him on this issue. Do you?

#14     Feb 8, 2008
  5. I see McCain maybe helping the Dems to put Clinton/Obama on the same ticket, hoping to secure an easier victory than if they continue to battle it out. I'm not sure I like that option either, but really not sure about McCain. Where the hell is Bloomberg? Is there anyone else out there?

c

#15     Feb 8, 2008
  6. Its funny how McCain invokes Reagan from time to time: though Reagan granted the first amnesty, he later admitted it was his biggest mistake as President.

#16     Feb 8, 2008
  7. hughb

hughb

Let me ask you conservatives something:

What about a McCain/Huckabee ticket?

Will that get you to the polls in November?

#17     Feb 8, 2008
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Oooooh.....Now he wants to close the border. Perhaps I'm a bit confused here. Is John McCain claiming to be a "chameleon" or a "conservative"? Any help appreciated.

#18     Feb 8, 2008
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I love to argue politics with you guys. McCain's OK by me when compared to George. But Obama has my vote. I want honesty, not a hundred more years in Iraq, and please, for god's sake, can we stop talking about those phoney "tax cuts." Bernanke had it right when he said "tax cuts seldom pay for themselves." Tax cuts made up by borrowing at interest are not cuts in my book. It's nonsense! And while we're on the subject of cuts, how about making some meaningful cuts, like cutting the pentagon by at least 50%. Or would that be being "soft on agression"? Seems to me that anyone who thinks we should spend more on the military than all other nations combined is soft in the head.

#19     Feb 8, 2008
  10. #20     Feb 8, 2008