John Lennon was a Republican?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/28/lennon-was-a-closet-republican-assistant

Lennon was a closet Republican

WENN.com

First posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:35:03 EDT PM

John Lennon was a closet Republican, who felt a little embarrassed by his former radicalism, at the time of his death - according to the tragic Beatles star's last personal assistant.

Fred Seaman worked alongside the music legend from 1979 to Lennon's death at the end of 1980 and he reveals the star was a Ronald Reagan fan who enjoyed arguing with left-wing radicals who reminded him of his former self.

In new documentary Beatles Stories, Seaman tells filmmaker Seth Swirsky Lennon wasn't the peace-loving militant fans thought he was while he was his assistant.

He says, "John, basically, made it very clear that if he were an American he would vote for Reagan because he was really sour on (Democrat) Jimmy Carter.

"He'd met Reagan back, I think, in the 70s at some sporting event... Reagan was the guy who had ordered the National Guard, I believe, to go after the young (peace) demonstrators in Berkeley, so I think that John maybe forgot about that... He did express support for Reagan, which shocked me.

"I also saw John embark in some really brutal arguments with my uncle, who's an old-time communist... He enjoyed really provoking my uncle... Maybe he was being provocative... but it was pretty obvious to me he had moved away from his earlier radicalism.

"He was a very different person back in 1979 and 80 than he'd been when he wrote Imagine. By 1979 he looked back on that guy and was embarrassed by that guy's naivete."

2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Interesting.

3. lots of us were republicans in the 80s. the republicans of the 80s were not anything like what we have today.

4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Range Rover is on suicide watch. Lennon preferred Reagan to Carter. Those are fighting words to Range Rover!:D

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

6. no its about you trying to make the repiblican party look legitimate by showing that a liberal like john lennon actually liked reagan.

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

LOL. Do you really think that? Is how how you liberals think? You think I post this shit because I'm give two shits about a political party. I post it because it's fun watching you lose control of your bodily fluids when you read it. Come on Vhehn. You're smarter then that.

And for the record, since when does having anyone in the entertainment industry endorsing a republican give credibility to the party? LOL. Man you are a riot.

8. just remember. its the republican party that changed. not those former republicans of us with the ability to think.

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Listen Vhehn. Political parties change every 10 years or so. Do you think the democratic party of today is the same party of Jack Kennedy. Don't even think of answering yes. Is the democratic party today the same as the Dixiecrats? Of course not. Is the democratic party today the same as the party of Andrew Jackson. Not even remotely close.

And yes the republican party has changed 4 or 5 times over the last 50 years and guess what, it will change again in another 10 years. This is why I could give two shits about any party! I support things that "I" actually believe in. I could care less which party agrees with "me".

You are the one that makes every post on here about this party or that party.

#10     Jun 29, 2011