John Henry closes shop

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tortoise, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Ash1972

Ash1972

That would suggest a rather poor approach to risk management

#41     Nov 17, 2012
  2. Actually no it doesn't!

#42     Nov 17, 2012
  3. Or could it be that catalysts cause market thriving.

Some traders believe this holy grail approach (superstition?) so I am sure you come to these beliefs sincerely. Perhaps some day you will abandon them and adopt much more helpful beliefs and your trading may improve immensely. Just my opinions.

I will state here that I have never lost 9 million dollars even totaling up all my thousands of trades together. Silence speaks volumes.

#43     Nov 17, 2012
  4. ... but will really twist your noodle is that relativity scientists might say there is no objective time anyways .....

I think that uranium decay is random. Quantum mechanics and entanglement is not. String theory in the 11 dimension universe theory is random. Current computers can't be because they are discrete. However quantum computing might be - stay tuned.

To prove what randomness is and is not we would have to talk of Godel, Russell, and a British fellow whose name escapes me at this moment. That is a long boring discussion.

I would guess that random is the universe and chaotic is where "mind" interacts with said objective universe. Cue spooky music .......

#44     Nov 17, 2012
  5. #45     Nov 17, 2012
  6. back when John Henry was doing so well we didn't have these discussions

random vs chaos

you just bought something and it went up

no brains required

#46     Nov 17, 2012
  7. Yes the catalysts cause the market to thrive.

If you read my post it implies there is no holy grail. Just trading with an edge with proper money management. I don't believe my potential profits have anything to do with the statement i made. As you mistook my post completely.

All the saying implies is that you will have losses with your wins. You can take the numbers literal if you like. Even so those numbers are still pretty good relative to the average trader. Considering the average trader is not profitable.

1900 trades at 10,000 dollars a trade 1000 winners 900 losers with an even risk reward is around a 53% win ratio. If you are a high frequency trader where your edge is slight this is not so bad.I admit not so great either.

Even some of the best traders only have a 55% win ratio. It's the frequency of trading that makes the difference.

Maybe you haven't lost 9 million but have you made a million. Ha Ha! You don't have to answer that question.

#47     Nov 17, 2012
  8. Sorry ash1972. Instead of just disagreeing i should have clarified the reasoning.

In reference to your post about bad risk management.

To lose 9 million and make 10 million has nothing to do with risk management and everything to do with win ratio combined with risk reward.

Your risk management can be fabulous but if you are not a profitable trader it means nothing. Well except of course you last longer to turn your trading around.

Risk management and edge are two different animals.

Risk management keeps you in the game through a draw down providing you truly have an edge.

Edge allows you to profit providing you use correct risk management.

#48     Nov 17, 2012
  9. the1

the1

Ahhh....for the go-go days again. We really did party like it was 1999. Nuttin like buying a stock and having it double in a week :D.

#49     Nov 17, 2012
  10. Ash1972

Ash1972

Agreed. Risk management allows you reduce the variation of returns about the mean, but does nothing to make the mean itself positive.

I interpreted "lose 9 million and make 10 million" as drawdowns=returns, which is not what you meant.

#50     Nov 18, 2012