John Carter from Trade the Markets

Discussion in 'Trading' started by SuperVolatility, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Why do you figure he charges $299 a month to teach others to trade when he still has so much to learn himself? Weird.

Wonder why someone would want to do that?

Do you think that is fair, or honest for that matter?

#51     Feb 29, 2008
  2. Good post. Join Carter to pick his brain but realize that you gotta bring your own rub to the game. Don't ever follow anyone blindly. Winning in this game is about being a leader, not a follower but nothing wrong with paying the guy a grand to learn what he knows. I wouldn't do a mentorship, just join his trading room and watch all his videos. The guy seems pretty capable to me but I've never been in his room.

#52     Feb 29, 2008
  3. "Good post. Join Carter to pick his brain but realize that you gotta bring your own rub to the game. Don't ever follow anyone blindly. Winning in this game is about being a leader, not a follower but nothing wrong with paying the guy a grand to learn what he knows. I wouldn't do a mentorship, just join his trading room and watch all his videos. The guy seems pretty capable to me but I've never been in his room."

Exactly what I was trying to say..!.......Everybody has to learn from somebody.........just because they are charging something does not mean they are crooks......"education" costs money........nobody seems to have any problem spending $20,000....30,0000......40,000.....or more for college.....to graduate and find a job for $35,000-50,000 per year.....thats even if you can find a job......to start....... With trading so many people want to buy a course...or a book.....and study for a few weeks......and then start making big money.........this is insulting to those of us who have "suffered" so much to learn this business......the "Trading busines" can pay so much more than that if you can figure it out...! It takes time....and hard work...... There is a "price" to be paid to master this business...... It all comes down to "personal desire".....and how much you want it !!!

#53     Feb 29, 2008
  4. gaj

gaj

unfortunate to read the stuff in here; i found mastering the trade to be a very good read, and liked his seminar a couple years ago @trading expo. i don't trade his methods, but look for others ideas / setups / etc. for future incorporation into my own trading methods.

with regards to the book as a leader - absolutely true. most of the published financial books don't make the author significant money. however, it establishes the person as an 'author' and immediately, in people's minds, they are a successful trader and an expert on trading. there's some people who were absolute failures as traders, but now 'teach' others to trade. and i almost never hear (maybe once? twice?) a completely acceptable reason: "i teach because i don't have the psychological makeup to trade".

sorry for those that have lost money.

#54     Feb 29, 2008
  5. I really liked Carters book when it came out, and ended up signing up for one of his classes at the Las Vegas expo two years ago.

The class was a joke; poorly prepared, sloppy presentation and JC didn't even show up until 2 hours into the session (Hubert started). Carter came across as *only* caring about getting you to sign up for his more "intensive" training. Same at this years expo.

I wrote a review at the time:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1300942&highlight=expo+carter#post1300942

I'm not buying anything else from Carter/Hubert.

#55     Feb 29, 2008
  6. good players don't necessarily make good couches and visa versa

#57     Feb 29, 2008
  7. IMHO this quote alone makes the entire thread worth while.

Most of these vendors range from being outright hucksters to very few who are extraordinarily skilled ... Puretick falls right in the middle of, while not being out-and-out charlatans, they obviously aren't very good traders, either.

A while back Spectra from Puretick posted a trade (one that went his way, go figure) challenging anyone to be on the other side of it, I replied that I would love to be on the other side of his trades, and you've just shown why ... the minimum profit of this trade was 20pts, btw, and you needed more than one contract to go past that point. :p

It's pretty obvious why they setup a vendor business.
    Here's the link:
    Purtick Gets it Right for Once

My exact reply was "I bet there's a lot of money to be made taking the other side of Puretick's trades", boy was that ever the truth!

#58     Feb 29, 2008
  8. Seems like there is consistent money to be teaching classes
    :cool:

#59     Feb 29, 2008
  9. Correct, there is. And the reason is obvious.

Most aspiring traders are unrealistic about what it takes to be successful in this business; they think it's easy and instantly gratifying. That opens the door for the smart marketeers to fulfill their needs. Without that, things like Traders Expo and Internet based trading systems would cease to exist.

#60     Mar 1, 2008