JOE BIDEN LACK of CHARITABLE GIVING!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TT1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. TT1

TT1

Yes, Senator Joe Biden who's been in Washington for over 30 years gives on average per year, .0015% of his adjusted gross income to charity.

What a freakin schmuck!!!

Last Friday, Sen. Joseph Biden, the Democratic candidate for vice president, released his tax returns for the years 1998 to 2007. The returns revealed that in one year, 1999, Biden and his wife Jill gave $120 to charity out of an adjusted gross income of $210,979. In 2005, out of an adjusted gross income of $321,379, the Bidens gave $380. In nine out of the ten years for which tax returns were released, the Bidens gave less than $400 to charity; in the tenth year, 2007, when Biden was running for president, they gave $995 out of an adjusted gross income of $319,853.

Here is a chart of the Bidens’ giving for the years covered by the tax returns:
    Adjusted
    Gross Income Charity

1998 $215,432 $195

1999 $210,797 $120

2000 $219,953 $360

2001 $220,712 $360

2002 $227,811 $260

2003 $231,375 $260

2004 $234,271 $380

2005 $321,379 $380

2006 $248,459 $380

2007 $319,853 $995

Total $2,450,042 $3,690

To take Biden’s worst year, 1999, one percent of his adjusted gross income would have been $2,100. One half of one percent would have been $1,050. One quarter of one percent would have been $525. One eighth of one percent would have been $262. And one sixteenth of one percent would have been $131 — still a bit more than the Bidens gave.

To take Biden’s best year, 2007, one percent of his adjusted gross income would have been $3,190. One half of one percent would have been $1,595. One quarter of one percent would have been $797 — a figure Biden surpassed by nearly $200.

Looking at the ten-year total of Biden’s giving, one percent would have been $24,500. One half of one percent would have been $12,250. One quarter of one percent would have been $6,125. And one eighth of one percent would have been $3,062 — just below what Biden actually contributed.

“The average American household gives about two percent of adjusted gross income,” says Arthur Brooks, the Syracuse University scholar, soon to take over as head of the American Enterprise Institute, who has done extensive research on American giving. “On average, [Biden] is not giving more than one tenth as much as the average American household, and that is evidence that he doesn’t share charitable values with the average American.”

A spokesman for Biden, David Wade, says the figures on Biden’s tax return do not reflect the true extent of his giving. “The charitable contributions claimed by the Bidens on their tax returns are not the sum of their annual contributions to charity,” Wade said in a statement to NRO. “Like most regular churchgoers, they contribute to their church, and they also contribute to their favorite causes with their time as well as their checkbooks, whether it’s [Jill] Biden’s volunteer work with military families or the Biden breast-health initiative, or the way in which the family pitched in driving supplies to the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina, or the ways Sen. Biden has supported charities that help women, police, and veterans.”

Wade also suggests that Biden, who is famous for being the least wealthy member of the U.S. Senate, simply doesn’t have piles of money to give. “Like a lot of families that put three kids through college and have an aging parent move in with them, the Bidens aren’t divorced from the realities of everyday life,” Wade says. Still, Wade continues, “finding ways to give back is important to them.”

So far, at least, Biden’s tax returns have attracted little attention. On Saturday, the Washington Post published a 468-word story on the subject, the main point of which was that the release of Biden’s returns was an effort by the Obama campaign to pressure the McCain campaign to release Sarah Palin’s returns. After a few brief paragraphs on Biden, the rest of the story concerned Palin, reporting that “progressive groups” are eager to find out whether Palin “skirted tax obligations” on the per diem payments she received from the Alaska state government. The story made no mention of Biden’s charitable giving.

But for people who have studied the impressive generosity of the American public, there is news in Biden’s returns. “I’m not going to say he’s a bad guy,” says Arthur Brooks. “My only point is that his values are not typical American values when it comes to charitable giving. Americans in general are very generous.”

2. I've always found the idea of linking an amount of charitable giving to one's morality or character and using it as a scorecard repulsive.

Many people use it to show off their supposed morality and it ultimately comes off as artificial. There are so many tyrants in history who were paragons of piety that it is sickening. Let them be judged on their good deeds and their actions and less on their balance sheets.

From what I've read, Biden was a part time teacher. Perhaps the value of the time he devoted to that should be counted in the tally. Or do Americans consider being a teacher a less moral job than being let's say an investment banker simply because it pays less?

The innuendo and oblique character assassination and defamation being engaged in by stories such as these is the truly uncharitable bit that should be commented on. It is interesting that for someone who studies charity so much the one who comes off as the least charitable person in this article if you really think about it is Mr. Brooks. I wonder if Mr.Brooks is aware of the irony and hypocrisy of his situation. Should we be charitable and give him the benefit of the doubt as well as all those other people who say similar things?

3. I'm sure mr biden would prefer the government be responsible for charitable giving.

ie. me and you.

4. Sounds reasonable.

Contrast that with Cheney, who in 2001 signed an legal agreement which forced his trust to make a charitable contribution, and so in 2005 gave an amazing $6.87 miliion and took advantage of the Katrina Emergency Tax Relief Act (KETRA), donating it to a charity which had no connection to Katrina whatsoever (his heart hospital) thereby reaping free care for years while also reaping a massive charitable deduction for it.

He's the "honorable" one?

5. I think the point here is that Biden has been out lecturing us that it is our patriotic duty to pay higher taxes. I for one find it highly insulting for a POS who has done nothing but be a career pol his entire life to call me unpatriotic over tax policy. Then it turns out Sen. Sanctimonious gives less in charitable contributions than my cleaning lady. I think it is very fair to point that out and draw any inference you choose from it.

6. Yeah, what a dirtbag Cheney is. He gave $6.8 million to a hospital.

You really are amazing. You find a way to demonize Cheney for giving away money to a hospital. Oh yeah, "his heart hospital." What an outrage, he supported a hospital that saved his life. Fucking bastard. (Of course, you know a retired VP gets free care courtesy of the government.)

At least we know we won't have to deal with the outrage of Biden or Obama recklessly donating money to charitable organizations. All they know is take.

7. TT1

TT1

AAA you nailed it!!!

8. You know what I'm wondering is why Biden's net worth is only $100K? I mean, what's this guy doing with his money?

Better, what does it say about his ability to manage money?

OldTrader

9. TT1

TT1

Shit he's probably spending $300/day... $6K/mo... on DC Call Girls!!!

10. Not quite, AAA, you missed the "legally required" part.

Cheney had to donate because he was legally required to sign an agreement to disburse the proceeds from his stock options in 2001 two days before he took office. Naturally he did this in the most dirtbaggery method possible.

Not to worry, though, he was still receiving million dollar deferred Halliburton payments right into his vice-presidency.

If he had voluntarily donated, and not screwed the taxpayer with his "Katrina" dodge, that would be one thing. But he did not voluntarily donate, he was required to.

I can't speak for Biden, but I do know that when your spouse isn't sitting on a hundred million in assets and you're paying to put your kid through school it's more difficult to make charitable donations.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't write off his church donations as well as the cost to take the train to DC every day, and he didn't ask for reimbursement either.

I'm kind of hoping he's cheap, though, as I want someone who's cheap in office.

#10     Sep 19, 2008