Joe Biden Asks The Eternal Question About Bill Ackman: “Who Is This A**hole?"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SteveM, Jun 24, 2017.

1. SteveM

SteveM

http://dealbreaker.com/2017/06/joe-biden-bill-ackman-who-is-this-asshole/

"The altercation occurred at this year’s SkyBridge Alternatives (SALT) Conference, a popular Wall Street confab held in May and started by hedge fund impresario Anthony Scaramucci. Both Biden and Ackman were featured speakers during the event.

During a private VIP dinner that night the question of why Biden didn’t run for president in 2016 was raised once again, by former Florida governor and 2016 GOP presidential contender Jeb Bush, who asked Biden “why didn’t you run?”
    Biden explained that part of the decision stemmed from the death of his son Beau Biden, who died of brain cancer in 2015. The room grew quiet as Biden became emotional, and said: “I’m sorry…I’ve said enough.”

That’s when Ackman blurted out “Why? That’s never stopped you before.”

The formal, and understated dinner conversation suddenly turned tense, according three people who were present and confirmed both the substance and the wording of Biden’s responses. Biden, these people say, turned to someone seated near him, and asked, “who is this asshole?,” a reference to Ackman.

Then he turned directly to Ackman and stated: “look, I don’t know who you are, wiseass, but never disrespect the memory of my dead son!” these people say.
    Ackman attempted what was described as an apology, to which Biden said, “just shut the hell up.”

2. gkishot

gkishot

Ackman question makes more sense to me than Biden's response. Biden brags all the time he could have beaten Trump. If you can do it, go for it, nothing should stop you.

3. punisher

punisher

I agree with above but for different reasons. If you know what Joe Biden had to go through in his life, you would understand that Ackman's question was fair. By saying what he said, Ackman showed that he at least knew something about Biden's past. I wonder how many others know that Biden has been touched by death multiple times. Shortly before he took oath as a senator he lost his wife in an accident (so that didn't stopped him from the office), he later lost his daughter, his two sons were hospitalized because of the car accident. In fact Biden had his last rights read to him at one point when he was ill. So while his explanation why he didn't run for president makes sense, so does Acman's question. I don't see how he would disrespect the memory of Biden's dead son by saying what he did. There was a logic to that question and it should have been handled differently by Biden given his past.

gkishot likes this.
  4. Cuddles

Cuddles

Maybe, but he came across as a piece of shit.

5. Tom B

Tom B

Biden did not run because he did not think he could beat Hillary in the primary.

6. punisher

punisher

No, it would be Biden that made too big of a deal of a fair comment. It only came out bad for those that don't know these facts. Of course I wasn't there so I don't know what the mood was, but given Biden's past, the comment was fair.

I know Biden has a lifelong of public service, but if he can't respond in a better way to a comment like that, maybe he's not ready for presidency. But then again, since Trump is in the office, it seems like the standards have changed (for everyone).

About a week ago there was a great interview with Biden by Terry Gross of NPR. Check out (listen to) the podcast at: http://www.npr.org/2017/06/15/53305...nd-fate-in-front-of-a-live-fresh-air-audience

7. Cuddles

Cuddles

I guess I don't get the angle you're getting at? Was he to be commended for continuing public service having gone through such terrible circumstances or be scorned for being callous and calculating in those circumstances? Because this Ackman fellow reads like he chose to judge him on the latter.