Jobs is Leaving Apple

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by 1flyfisher, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Good to hear your GF is beating his pancreatic cancer. I don't know much about the big C pancreatic other than what I have been hearing lately about jobs and Swayze.
    You certainly have to fight hard with this disease or you are a goner but ultimately you just have to be lucky.

#21     Jan 14, 2009
  2. AAPL stock will recover all its AH losses very soon. This story isn't a big deal. Good buying opp.

#22     Jan 14, 2009
  3. 90% of pancreatic cancers are adenocarcinomas, ( exocrine cell cancers ) usually originating in the head of the gland.

The slower growing, more treatable ( and rare ) form of pancreatic cancer occurs in the tail section of the pancreas via endocrine cell cancers.

Smoking is the main risk factor.
    3-4x's more likely vs a non-smoker.

10-20% of patients diagnosed with pancreatic cancer also have diabetes.

Thus, obesity is a big risk factor.

Diets low in fat ( and protein ) and high in fiber and fruits and veggies may help to prevent the disease . . . Five servings of fruit and veggies, and Six servings of grains PER DAY is recommended.

Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer death in men and women.

#23     Jan 14, 2009
  4. Tall people are also more prone. Steve Jobs is pretty tall as is Randy Pausch (who died of pancratic cancer)

#24     Jan 14, 2009
  5. Mr Jobs:
    Thank you for all the goodies.
    Enjoy every moment you have left.
    Vaya con Dios!
    :)

#25     Jan 14, 2009
  6. LOL more like $90

#26     Jan 14, 2009
  7. Illum

Illum

I will try to get you more info. As far as the different kinds of this type of cancer I do not know that information either. He has never smoked, and used to tell me all the time I needed to quit for obvious reasons. He used to say they would get one beer and a pack of smokes during WWII, and people would trade. He told me years ago that everyone who traded the beer for smokes was gone.

Anyway, he eats lean protein. Mostly cold cuts of the lowest fat he can find and vegetables. He likes lean turkey sandwiches, no mayo just dry. He stopped drinking. He does nothing special other than that . No new age diets. Just lean meats and vegetables, and juice. What I do know for a fact is that he is rigorous. He never ever "cheats" on diet for any reason.

The kind of cancer as eluded to by others may be a factor, but I know his prognosis was grim. I attribute his being alive to his steady, boring diet.

Whatever the doctor has told your friend's father, I would say his determination to follow those recommendations can be vital. Unwavering persistence as boring as it can be.

He walks everyday, he is no gym rat. But he gets out and walks around town saying hi to everyone everyday. A gym would probably be better but he has never done that.

I will ask my family more about his illness.

#27     Jan 14, 2009
  8. AAPL is what you buy when you believe in a company. The people who buy iPhones, iPod, and MAC books don't buy them because of Jobs. They buy them because they're good products. And though he (Jobs) helps invent those products, he's not alone. The company also has people who can come close.

You can factor in the fact that the economy sucks and people aren't buying jack, but keep in mind that the stock has been slashed in > half. And with >20 billion in cash, it's hard to overlook.

I do want this stock so bad for my investment portfolio. I think it might hit 75 in a couple of days. But I'm not taking any chances, I'm already in and I'll average down from here. If it bounces tomorrow, I will be very upset. I want it to go lower.
    Like they say; "If you like it at 85, you'll love it at 75"

#28     Jan 14, 2009
  9. afto

afto

Good, sensible diet and exercise are always helpful however it's the emotional countenance thats most important.
    Those that I've known that survived cancer or a serious illness generally had, or likely developed, an attitude of fearlessness towards life.
    Bottom line, imo, if you can quit fretting and worrying and learn to count your blessings then you can handle whatever comes your way.
    Who was it that said "laughter is the best medicine".
    Very, very true.

The kind of cancer as eluded to by others may be a factor, but I know his prognosis was grim. I attribute his being alive to his steady, boring diet.

Whatever the doctor has told your friend's father, I would say his determination to follow those recommendations can be vital. Unwavering persistence as boring as it can be.

He walks everyday, he is no gym rat. But he gets out and walks around town saying hi to everyone everyday. A gym would probably be better but he has never done that.

I will ask my family more about his illness.

#29     Jan 14, 2009
  10. agree

#30     Jan 14, 2009