Jobs in Sydney, Australia for US citizens?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by nravo, Nov 18, 2006.

1. nravo

nravo

Just wondering. I'll probably wind up trading my own accounts, but are there any trading outfits, hedge funds, etc. in the land down under -- does anyone really call it that? -- for folks there 1-3 years from the US?

2. A lot of US citizens come here expecting Australians to worship them.
    A lot of US citizens arrive here because they can't make it back there.

I am sure you will find a cozy clique in one of the many American Chambers of Commerce here and exchange business cards while whittling your days away down here trying to drum up business...

3. nravo

nravo

Hmmm. Thanks for the observations. And let me assure you that I shall arrive with the high degree of humility and respect that I bring to all foreign countries I visit. It's unfortunate that the ugly American syndrome is still alive. I'll endeavor to prove that it is changing.

4. Sounds like Alex had a bad experience with an American. Sorry about that Alex we aren't all arrogant people.

I've been to Sydney and a few other places in Australia. Went by and visited the stock exchange there. It's all electronic with few old guys hanging around watching the quote boards.

Sydney is a nice town and most people are very nice. It's sunny and you can really have a fun vacation there.

As for doing business you'd be better off in Chicago or NYC.

5. zdreg

zdreg

not only that. but you are relatively poor with the crumbling $US dollar

6. nravo

nravo

Tell me about it! I spent last summer in London and felt like the dollar was a third world currency. Maybe it's pegged to the Zimbabwe dollar nowadays or something. Ah, the price of low interest rates at home.

7. Absolutley amazing for a British colony to have citizens with attitudes such as this...Whatever happened? This mentality that some backwoods Australians seem to echo and fight to never change from hatred to love. We have the same sort of people in the USA...

Uneducated...

Michael B.

You might find this interesting....

http://members.tripod.com/virtaus4/volume8/history/british_settlement.htm

8. doesnt susquehanna have offices in sydney?

9. nravo

nravo

Excellent. Thanks for the tip; I'll check it out; know someone there.

10. zdreg

zdreg

"nravo

11-18-06 10:24 AM

Tell me about it! I spent last summer in London and felt like the dollar was a third world currency. Maybe it's pegged to the Zimbabwe dollar nowadays or something. Ah, the price of low interest rates at home.

Quote from zdreg:

not only that. but you are relatively poor with the crumbling $US dollar

if you have any further doubts.

"The imam who runs an unmarked money exchange out of his religious- supplies store in Foumban, Cameroon, won't accept anything but $100 bills. Tens and twenties "are too small -- they're not worth my time," he says. The Moscow souvenir store called "Souvenir" won't accept 1996 series [Robert E. Rubin] $20 bills as payment for vodka or nesting dolls. The Rubins are too old, the clerk says. The Stella Matutina Lodge in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, accepts 2001 series C-notes -- the ones with Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill's signature -- but says they're only worth $90. The hotel accepts the 2003 Snow bills at face value.

[Jean Yves], the Malagasy cruise-ship employee, finds that in many ports, the 1996 series bills are discounted by as much as 15%, if they're accepted at all. He and his fellow crewmen complain to their bosses, he says, but to no avail. "They say to me, 'This is your pay -- take it or don't,'" said Jean Yves, who, for fear of losing his job, spoke on the condition that neither his family name nor his employer's name be published.

Jean Yves would likely have fared far worse at the city's legal money-changers. The currency-exchange window at the Banque Malgache de l'Ocean Indien, part of Groupe BNP Paribas, doesn't take $100 bills at all. "If we take it here, the goal is to resell it," says Hanitra Rasoanaivo, a customer-service manager. "But the Malagasy and foreign tourists don't want $100 bills."

it doesnn't happen to swiss currency.

#10     Nov 23, 2006