Jobs for those with no and little experience

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by qtip, Dec 30, 2006.

1. qtip

qtip

Yeah, I asked about that because there would be more opportunities, but he said he was interested in being a programmer or network admin.

I told him he could give me his skills and degree :)

#11     Feb 1, 2007
  2. I will warn you, I am not a fan of prop shops. My belief is that they resemble the "bucket" shops of 100 years ago. These prop shops are a far cry from the real institutions of Wall Street or even a hedge fund.

I view the prop shops as a contrarian sign to the current market. When these shops start popping up all over the place, then you know that we are at the end of the current cycle. In 1999, there were many trading arcades popping up all over the place. Sure enough, the bull market ended months later in the year 2000.

My advice is either of the following:

1. Find a real job where you can stay and grow into something bigger over time.

OR

2. Start a business or enterprise of some kind.

The bucket shop career might work for a period of time, but will end in the future at some point. Here is an accurate timeline of the current trend that I see.

Tech bubble daytrader---->>>>Real Estate/Mortgage agent/House Flipper----->>>>Bucket shop trader

I actually have met a few guys who have made that journey going from tech bubble daytrader to real estate house flipper to bucket shop employee.

Think of the consequences of this type of lifestyle. No stability, no routine. This might work well when your young, but can have devastating consequences as you get older. You have no steady income, no security and no routine lifestyle. You make no friends and are constantly moving as one speculative bubble ends after the other. How can you explain that lifestyle to your family? You tell them that your a bucket shop trader.

You want to build a life, thats the idea...

#12     Feb 1, 2007
  3. qtip

qtip

Great post. What do you think about the working for one of these companies that are in the trading technology business or a brokerage house of some sort? Just curious.

#13     Feb 1, 2007
  4. qtip

qtip

For those of you curious, my buddy has two job offers...

1. Trading Technologies (Account Manager)
    2. Advent (http://www.advent.com/) Sales Consultant

Can anyone comment on working at either of these firms.

Thanks in advance!

#14     Feb 15, 2007