Jobs available for History Major ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by M Jared, Dec 6, 2009.

1. M Jared

M Jared

Shes going back to school because she cant find work and she will have more money left over after paying tuition then she has now.(community college with 600.00 tuition and shes approved for 3,500 in student aid).Shes majoring in history because she likes it. She has absolutely no idea what she is going to do with it when she graduates but knows that if everything fails she can be a history teacher in the public school system,although she hates kids and doesn't want to do that.Its my niece and she has no father figure so I have helped to convince her to go back to school and tried to get her interested in finding something else to major in or figure out what other career she could have with a history degree and I haven't found many

On another note I often see fast food restaurants advertising for managers and paying 30,000 -50,000 a year,so maybe that wouldn't be so bad :D

#11     Dec 6, 2009
  2. I know a MCD manager makes 40k, hs diploma only, he just keeps plugging away. MCD offers training which earns college credits, while you work your way up.

#12     Dec 6, 2009
  3. aegis

aegis

Some big companies hire historians, but very few of them. And the few they hire on usually have doctorates from elite schools.

If I was a chick, I'd get into nursing. If she's starting at a community college anyway, most offer an AS to RN program. Two years of college with a $40k+/year job waiting at the end doesn't sound too bad.

#13     Dec 6, 2009
  4. M Jared

M Jared

We talked about that but the nursing programs are hard to get into.Many applicants,few openings,long waiting lists

#14     Dec 6, 2009
  5. aegis

aegis

I suppose it depends on where you're located. The for-profit schools are easier to get into, but obviously more expensive.

I believe you just need to complete the prerequisites and you're put on a 1-year waiting list. While she's waiting, she could become a CNA. That will certainly give her an edge over the other applicants.

#15     Dec 6, 2009
  6. There's nothing wrong with History as a major. I for one studied political science and work as a trader now. When you go to a liberal arts college, your major is largely irrelevant.

I would recommend you consider law school, as studying history improves your reading, writing and critical thinking skills.

#16     Dec 6, 2009
  7. Then perhaps it is guys like you, who don't have an adequate grasp of history, that are destined to repeat its mistakes.

#17     Dec 6, 2009
  8. It is hard to believe you are serious about her. How can anyone be absolutely this clueless and expect to get any form of work?

If she reasons like this, who in the world WOULD hire her after an interview to check the person behind the degree?

#18     Dec 8, 2009
  9. there are lots of history questions on "are you smarter than a fifth grader". just kidding.

#19     Dec 8, 2009