Job with Morgan Stanley???

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lasner, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Lasner -

I'm going to give you some advice that I wish someone would have given me when I was stuck doing stuff on Wall Street that I hated.

First, recognize that 99% of Wall Street supports the 1% (traders) that everyone strives to emulate. If you think that's pathetic (I do), then do this...

Buy your way in - go prop. Put up 10k and get intraday leverage.

I'm assuming you're a young guy, so even if you have a false start, like I did, you can just go back to work to save up your next stake and do it better the second time.

Don't waste your 20s working on the sell-side. Even if you do become a "trader", you'll likely be a Sales Trader, which is basically a bookie. The universe of people who get proprietary trading jobs with Ibanks is so small that it isn't even worth going for unless you are either asian or have a phd in math or engineering from an ivy.

If you love the market and feel like it's a riddle waiting to be deciphered, then go prop and take responsibility for your own destiny and success (or failure).

Trading is about freedom and the unlimited potential for creative self-expression coupled with an objective scoring mechanism (P/L). Working for other people, particularly in finance, offers little in the way of either of those.

#11     Mar 24, 2006
  2. cvds16

cvds16

because he will blow up, it's just a matter of time ...

#12     Mar 24, 2006
  3. just21

just21

He must have bought options not sold naked.

#13     Mar 24, 2006
  4. "I did this through writing options way outside of the money."

#14     Mar 24, 2006
  5. just21

just21

The further out of the market the less premium recieved therefore lower return.

#15     Mar 24, 2006
  6. no shot at all to move anywhere close to Morgans trading desk, you are basically working for the old Dean Witter.

On the bright side if you are good at it, you can make very serious $ with much more relaxed lifestyle than as a trader.

#16     Mar 24, 2006
  7. Hybone

Hybone

I thought he said with a "practice account" which unfortunately won't count much as a track record.

#17     Mar 24, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Lasner, you have 0% chance of being a trader at Morgan. You have a much better chance if you just apply to be a trader now, although I doubt you have the credentials. Very few do. Time to go prop.

#18     Mar 24, 2006
  9. I hope you are wrong because the $4 million I made paper trading was gonna get me off this island...

People forget that paper trading is for practice and education, not to establish a track record lol

#19     Mar 24, 2006
  10. Wealth Advisor to trader? Very little chance of this happening. I actually interviewed with someone at a similar firm -- she told me I was overqualified and would be bored. Remember, the focus there is gathering assets.

#20     Mar 24, 2006