Job required to open brokerage account?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by wartrace, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Surdo

Surdo

As the old saying goes, "if you ask a stupid question......"

Did you expect anything different here mate?

#11     Apr 3, 2009
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Lefty,,, what made you so angry/bitter in life???

#12     Apr 3, 2009
  3. This is the Retail Firm thread, not psycho.

#13     Apr 3, 2009
  4. eagle

eagle

Actually, it depends. For cash account, it's ok. But for margin account, I think broker has a good reason to require some assurance since short selling is quite dangerous.

#14     Apr 3, 2009
  5. wartrace

wartrace

I was looking at trade stations requirements & they asked for employment information. That is what prompted the question. I have always been under the impression that the only stupid question is an unasked question.
    I didn't intend for those of you who are much too busy to help a noob out with a simple question to respond. I'm sorry you found the question stupid & surprised you took the time out of your busy day to tell me. Thank you for your input, it always cheers me up when someone confirms my stupidity for me.:p

#15     Apr 3, 2009
  6. Well, your employment status will affect your approval for margin. This is important because most of the time, you need a margin account for using certain strategies like spreads. Say you bet all the money in your account with a short call spread. Then say it went up ten basis points and you are assigned. You don't have the money to pay it unless you sell your covered option. However, option orders aren't settled until a day later... So you see, it is a bit sticky even though you have an option to cover you.

#16     Apr 3, 2009
  7. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid surdo remarks.

Sour Dough has been here 3 1/2 yrs with nearly 4k posts and (s)he has yet to contribute anything of substance to this board.

#17     Apr 3, 2009
  8. Surdo

Surdo

I have shared many an ELD code here jackass, and have gotten many back.

Good trading to you too penile membrane.

Sour Dough

PS: I am more than willing to provide an employment reference for the OP to TS!

#18     Apr 3, 2009
  9. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

(edit)

not worth arguing with a troll.

#19     Apr 3, 2009
  10. Bob111

Bob111

income 42K+ a year is required in IB to open margin account.

#20     Apr 3, 2009