Job Creation, where is it going to come from.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by KINGOFSHORTS, Jun 24, 2010.

1. India is the worlds second largest english speaking population. There are 9 times more english speakers in India than in Canada and 4 times as many as in the U.K.

If you have 100k to spend on engineers, would you rather buy 1 american engineer to build something, or 8 to 10 Indian engineers? With the american engineer, you might get a lazy who is looking to clock out at 4pm on the dot after an 8 hour shift. With the Indian engineers, you have all 10 of them working 12 hour shifts, never late, never missing a day, no sick leave. I dont know...If I needed something built, I would surely rather have 10 people working on the project than 1 person for the same price.

#11     Jun 24, 2010
  2. Space.

Get the technology to go out there and explore the solar system cheaply, set up martian and moon colonies, and mine those for their natural resources.

Just have to get a spaceship that is very very economical to fly and alot faster than what we have now. A spaceship that the average guy can go down to the car lot and and pick up like he is buying a car. Once those type of engines can be made economically, it will be a whole new world.

#12     Jun 24, 2010
  3. Retief

Retief

Yep, better get your job application into Bigelow Aerospace or Blue Origin. The problem with this economy is that there are too many aerospace engineers that won't get off their lazy asses and work.

#13     Jun 24, 2010
  4. healthcare and education will provide middle class jobs for the next few decades.

with so much emphasis on post-high-school education being a prerequisite for decent-paying jobs, an increasing number of people will enroll in colleges. that means more demand for everyone from college instructors to financial aid administrators.

the healthcare bill means millions of uninsured people who were not likely to be patients will more likely become patients in the future.

#14     Jun 24, 2010
  5. It sounds like you haven't done much in the way of technical management.

In your post there are some definite misconceptions.

1. Time + effort does not equal more or better results.

2. One 100k engineer whos knows his/her stuff is worth way more in terms of productivity than 10 people @ 10k each with personality/communication/interpersonal issues.

3. Managing just *one* difficult personality can be very draining. Managing a group > 3 is also very difficult when it comes to complex projects.

Mike

#15     Jun 24, 2010
  6. sorry but there's a big difference between being able to write and speak at a 7th grade grammatical level versus being fluent in english. i have worked with dozens of indian engineers and even the best english speakers weren't very fluent.

same goes for chinese H1B's. (i would say the indians speak english better though.)

#16     Jun 24, 2010
  7. i think you've been watching too many episodes of the jetsons. he was talking about the next 20-30 years not the next 2-3 centuries.

mining the moon and mars for resources? we have everything we need here, and if those resources become scarce, they can still be recycled for cheaper and with less energy than mining them from distant places.

40 years ago they said we'd have flying cars and jetpacks by now. that is far simpler technology than setting up space colonies to harvest resources and we don't even have them yet.

#17     Jun 24, 2010
  8. What will lead the new job growth?
    Cleaning the latrines in our local FEMA camp?

#18     Jun 24, 2010
  9. Practically speaking one must distinguish between where productivity will come from and where employment will come from. They are no longer the same thing.

Productivity will come from innovation and technology, and those able to build or maintain these things. It will also come from those who do the basic, low wage jobs that need to be done.

Employment will come from two sources:

1. Direct government employment

2. Employment created by increasing regulation of the private economy. (accountants, lawyers, "certified" this an that button pushers.

More people will be turning to self-employment. Many will turn to growing their own food and directly meeting their needs outside the division of labor economy. It is inevitable, because the "american worker" is a concept that has been made obsolete by technology and third world wage arbitrage. There is literally nothing productive for most people to do anymore.

#19     Jun 24, 2010
  10. Investing cash will create new jobs, spending will preserve existing jobs and saving cash will destroy jobs & the economy.

#20     Jun 25, 2010