job choice help! Goldman Sachs or Trading Firm???

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by carl1111, Jan 27, 2006.

1. True. The guy is too idiotic for me to even believe he got an interview with GS for front office.

#21     Jan 27, 2006
  2. jrsteine

jrsteine

I know, I'm trying to play the devil's advocate. Personally speaking, though, I absolutely love trading and investing - both the quantitative and qualitative components. If you feel trading/investing is your "calling," then working for the options firm would certainly be rewarding. I get the feeling, from your postings, that something "from within" is calling you to the options firm. I know the feeling and I followed it (eventually).

It takes years to learn the business and develop a strong trading or investing methodology. Therefore, if the options firm has great mentors and builds successful traders, that could be an opportunity of a lifetime. Mentors (who truly know what they're doing AND are willing to share the knowledge) are rare in the business.

FYI: Some trading firms are reknown for hiring multiple individuals knowing that one or two will "work out" with the remaining individuals being terminated. I would certainly ask about attrition for that position.

I wish you well in your pursuit.

#22     Jan 27, 2006
  3. Iti0087

Iti0087

I would take the GS job. It's much easier to go from an I-banc to a Trading firm then later from a Trading Firm to an I-banc. And: You don't have any experience at options trading. In the next years, beside working at GS, you ca learn a lot about Trading,and then, if u like it and if u have success, you can change. But what is if you go now to the Trading bank and don't have success. After one year the Firm will say:"Yeah, sorry, but you aren't good enough" --> Bad CV.

Forget it, take the GS job--> Top-CV

#23     Jan 27, 2006
  4. THERUDEBOY

THERUDEBOY Guest

I totally agree with the majority on this one.

YOUNG, DUMB AND FULL OF........!

'Clearing' house job?

Or

'Cleaning' house job?

#24     Jan 27, 2006
  5. hajimow

hajimow

Go with TD Waterhouse !!:D

#25     Jan 27, 2006
  6. tomcole

tomcole

This kid couldnt get a job with McDonalds, hes just some lonely kid looking for attention. You guys are making his day.

#26     Jan 27, 2006
  7. toc

toc

Remember 95% fail in trading in the first year, so despite having top business degree the chances of dude survival are pretty low. GS factors have been listed by many above.

#27     Jan 27, 2006
  8. nicolain

nicolain

your inner calling must not be underestimated. inner peace comes from following your dreams. mind you, the security you get from GS is not your dream itself.

if you are unsure of your dream or have none at this moment, i'd recommend you to read this book http://tinyurl.com/74rmv whilst going with GS.

as you throughout life (hopefully) build the strength to follow your dream, you will realize that security is an illusion and you are free/compelled to go where your heart dictates.

#28     Jan 27, 2006
  9. Go for the GS offer.

#29     Jan 27, 2006
  10. tireg

tireg

Like ^^^ said, it's going to be up to you to make that choice. Obviously there is something compelling in the options trading that you see, otherwise you wouldn't even consider it comparing [initial] salaries...

That being said, if I was in your position, I'd take the Goldman Sachs just to build some savings/investment money up... I don't know how well off you are but maybe pay off your tuition and loans? You can still learn about trading options on your own or even with the firm if they have a trading area... this decision would be based on the pro's you said of the job, which are great initial salary/bonuses/paid meals etc... alot of benefits.. kind of like the "safe" choice. Nothing will stop you from going over to the options firm down the line if you don't like Goldman, will it?

#30     Jan 28, 2006