JMA

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vanilla2, Jun 12, 2003.

1. JMA users,

Can I get some opinions on whether the JMA is a worthwhile investment?

I called their "sales" number and the gent confusedly quoted me two prices. I asked if he could send me a screenshot of the JMA applied to a recent day and drawled through saying he didn't have time for that. Dissapointingly unprofessional. Is this thing BS, or worthwhile?

Thanks

I would be hugely indebted to anyone who'd be willing to pass me a screenshot of it applied to a specific bar length. Please PM me if you're willing.

Thanks

2. Depends on what you want to use it for. It is not a magic bullet-- but when you need the smoothest MA possible, it's great.

What would you like to see it on? I can post something tonight before HK starts..

3. just21

just21

Is jma2 out yet? It has been promised for several years, meant to be smoother and tighter than jma.

4. Thanks very much for the input guys. Anyone else have experience with the Jurik MA?

I also read on the Jurik site about Ehler's "Modified Optimal Elliptical Filter" which appears to have very similar results and a similar logical basis using DSP and techniques derived from radar technology, and can be obtained from TASC magazine for less than $4.00, has anyone tried this either?

Thanks

5. I use JMA's and Jurik RSX. I like them alot and have used them for about a year now. I find for moving average crossovers they cross faster than EMA's or SMA's and react to gaps much better. But if you tend to jump in too soon this would not be the tool for you. I have a friend that needs that delay. He does not have a documented trading plan with filters.

I think the cost is only about $250 a year. You can loose that in a heart beat trading. Also if you are not making money now, Jurik indicators will not change that. There is a lot more to this game than indicators. Jurik will only give you an edge if they blend in with your trading plan and the only way to find that out is to try it.

6. Here are two charts showing some cool things about jma.

The larger-timeframe chart just shows you the difference between ema(8), jma(8,100), with ema(24) thrown in for fun.

The zoomed chart circle 1. shows how a jma can be 'faster' than an ema.. circle 2. shows how it might help you avoid whipsaw..

Up to you to decide if it could be an edge for you.

I think that anyone watching moving averages enough in real time can do this sort of thing in their head. But when you're using MA's as inputs to systems, removing lag and/or reducing overshoot can be extremely helpful.

Regards,

Laziz

7. zoom didn't get up there..

here it is:

8. guys, thanks a ton for the input, laz, thanks very much for the illustration, this helps a lot. the product has come highly recommended, and i've seen a fair number of respectable proponents for it over time. i intend to apply it to a pre-existing system. i was just so caught off guard by the attitude and manor of the salesperson, I wondered about the legitimacy of the operation. it sounds like a fluke though, and a decent product. your points about lag and system applications are well taken. it's a tough call, the T3 is free and pretty good in its own rite. I may try the Ehler's technique first.

thanks very much