JimSimons’ Renaissance Made Him Billions – But It Came at a Price.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Nov 7, 2019.

1. fan27

fan27

Waiting for the movie.

#11     Nov 7, 2019
  2. RedDuke

RedDuke

No way movie can give it any justice. Book is too deep.

#12     Nov 7, 2019
  3. themickey

themickey

Books take up room in the house, and mostly are only read once.
    I just gave way to other family members 20kg of trading books, (went via parcel post).
    So it cost money to dispose of them.

#13     Nov 7, 2019
  4. Very, very informative book for those of us who have always felt like outsiders. Amazon sold out on release day, and I had to run to a local Barnes to pick it up. But, I didn't put it down and read it in one sitting. Really gave me a big sense of respect and belief for Simons. It wasn't always the successful story that we all hear about now.

#14     Nov 7, 2019
    beginner66 likes this.
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

Simmons is overnight success that was few decades in the making :D, oh yeah plus the fact that he is a genius.

#15     Nov 7, 2019
    trader99 likes this.
  6. Encyclopedia Britannica is the one thing I have in any house. I keep it in the kids rooms and occasionally ground them. No electronics guess what happens.

Books are needed in a home with children.

#16     Nov 7, 2019
    dealmaker and themickey like this.
  7. ZBZB

ZBZB

This book is getting a lot of attention but I enjoyed the Larry Hite book, The Rule more. It is more applicable to trading then the Jim Simons book.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    #17     Nov 7, 2019
  8. easymon1

easymon1

"I told my wife, 'We raised $1 million for Stony Brook,'" said the speaker, hedge fund manager James Simons. "She said, 'Gross or net?'"

When James Simons was a teenager, he worked a job in the basement stockroom of a garden supply store. His inefficiency at the job resulted in his demotion as a floor sweeper.[21]

take home message: exhibit no talent doing activities for which you have no interest.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    #18     Nov 7, 2019
  9. d08

d08

Not a clear bias but a slight trend if you look at the numbers. I believe, like many others, that it's intraday holders who don't want overnight positions or have to liquidate for margin.

#19     Nov 8, 2019
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

I learned about that anomaly in a financial statements class in the late 90s. I asked if anyone was trading it and the professor said that Renaissance was. It was the first time I had heard of the firm but apparently it was known in the academic community.

#20     Nov 8, 2019