Jim Simons speaks on his big picture ideas

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by 777, Jul 11, 2020.

1. guru

guru

There is no way to prove that a better team isn’t working on climate models. Many scientists refuse to go into finance, while many great minds work for tech firms, including Google’s DeepMind.
    While for people who go into finance, maybe that’s the point: not necessarily being smarter than other great scientists but being known as being the smartest.

#31     Jul 20, 2020
  2. 931

IMO working for Google in the end feeding greed just the same. Probably scientists there even have less stake in and feed owners more.

Do you believe people who benefit from Google have different fundamental motivatons compared to finance?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    #32     Jul 23, 2020
  3. Millionaire

Millionaire

Other developers i know will not work for certain companies.

Obvious one are gambling and defence.
    Recently someone left to join Facebook and other devs said they would never work for Facebook.

Personally i would work for the highest bidder :D
    Actually thats not my main concern anymore, but used to be when i was younger and had no money.

#33     Jul 23, 2020
  4. Millionaire

Millionaire

Most gambling is just entertainment. There is not much other benefit.

Finance supposedly helps companies raise capital so they can come up with better ways of doing things or invent new things and help raise everyones standard of living.

Speculation is gambling for most, if 80% lose. These losers are just really gambling although they are also providing extra market liquidity and depth.

#34     Jul 23, 2020
    guru likes this.
  5. guru

guru

Google was just an example, while some great minds may work in variety of industries.
    However, working for many high-paying firms may generally be “better” and often a big part of motivation is to solve world’s problems.
    If you’re doing what you like and solving world’s problems, but don’t make great money from it - then you’re simply getting screwed. Nobody wants to solve world’s problems just to get screwed :)

Secondly, money simply provides freedom to do great things, start companies that have purpose, or invest in others.

Really, how would the world look like if everyone worked for a cause but nobody was making money and wasn’t able to fund anything. We’d all be a third world country.

While all the world’s progress is built on financial motivation, and/or at least being able to raise funds from investors who first had to make money, then invest into others who want to improve the world while understanding they too will need to be rewarded.

#35     Jul 23, 2020
  6. guru

guru

Btw, your question and reasoning surprises me, because I’d like to believe that everyone wants to make money to then have the freedom to put it to good use.
    But if you don’t think so then what’s your own motivation to make money? Wouldn’t you do something good with it?

#36     Jul 23, 2020
  7. 931

By feeding greed in relation to google I was referring to stockholders or whoever benefits from scientists success and breakthrough's the most.

IMO money=collective help.
    And i like help like many people. Or helping if enough. Some people never have enough, might as well be one of those, too early to say.

I do most everyday stuff and repairs myself. With more money the ratio might be different.

Good and bad are subjective IMO.
    What is good for some people might be bad for others.
    Especially in zero sum games.
    Mistargeted greed & misery is seasoned investors fortune, right?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    #37     Jul 23, 2020
  8. This man is the largest systematic volume seller in the world. His suggestions are real and helpful for every trader.

#38     Jul 28, 2020
  9. guru

guru

How do you sell volume?

#39     Jul 28, 2020
  10. Millionaire

Millionaire

You place a large sell order, eg Sell 100,000 ES :D

#40     Jul 30, 2020
    guru likes this.