Jim Simons speaks on his big picture ideas

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by 777, Jul 11, 2020.

1. ironchef

ironchef

Am I a systematic vol-seller if I mechanically selling calls/puts every month on AAPL, MSFT, GOOGL...?

Back in 2013 when I started, I tried systematic (mechanically) selling lots of weekly covered calls, all on single names I owned. Not very profitable. :(

#11     Jul 11, 2020
  2. Jim Simons says trend-following in commodities markets no longer work well anymore today. That's significant.

#12     Jul 12, 2020
  3. virtusa

virtusa

Don't believe everything he says. He might as well just tell the opposite. You can never check if he is lying or not, so you never know what is real and what is fake.

He will never make other people smarter; he is too smart to do that.

#13     Jul 12, 2020
  4. As if anyone knew or will ever know for sure outside of Rentech. Maybe he is a "vol seller", but what is this info worth if we don't know the system behind it. My understanding as a pure layman, no math and / or science background - they scan world markets, if liquid enough, for patterns that may indicate a future price movement may occur that is not purely random and as a result, predictable within certain limits.

#14     Jul 12, 2020
  5. Regarding secrecy, the interview with D.E. Shaw in one of Schwager's books was quite interesting. He wouldn't even divulge what they didn't do as he felt it yielded their competitors an unfair advantage.

#15     Jul 12, 2020
  6. %%
    Interesting.
    And some that have done much better +------- told more.
    If I remember right he also had AMZN founder working for his co + suggested he go out on his own-amazing

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    #16     Jul 12, 2020
    Laissez Faire likes this.
  7. VEGASDESERT

VEGASDESERT

Simons has said many times they look at and test anything and everything.

Anything you can possibly think of they'll test it..

Performance is a combination of a many small edges.

rentec.JPG

#17     Jul 12, 2020
    dennis86 and 931 like this.
  8. Atikon

Atikon

or... he said the market is efficient but once in a while there is an opportunity. TA scholars try to outperform Nobel price winning phys/math phd's.... good luck

#18     Jul 12, 2020
    931 likes this.
  9. VEGASDESERT

VEGASDESERT

Its not about outperforming dollar wise, size is huge advantage for small traders. There are many strategies
    that aren't doable with rentec size

#19     Jul 12, 2020
    931 likes this.
  10. Atikon

Atikon

Probably, he doesn't seem to insinuate that there is a 80/20 disparity, it seems more like a 60/40 disparity that he takes advantage off during 1000xX trades, but this is all speculation, I'm not gonna trade against a math PHD with a nobel price, I'm gonna pick my battles and from what I see so far there are some ppl here who risk arb succesfully, so I'm gonna try to learn from them.

#20     Jul 12, 2020