Jim Simons speaks on his big picture ideas

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by 777, Jul 11, 2020.

1. 777

#Jim Simons
    # Renaissance Technologies
    #Medallion Fund
    # And so on...

Laissez Faire, Nobert and themickey like this.
  2. destriero

destriero

He is the largest systematic vol-seller in the world. All they do is overwrite in single names.

Atikon likes this.
  3. guru

guru

So they’ve hired 100 PHDs and 200 other people to do just this? Don’t some single-person hedge funds do this?

Though he is talking mainly about trading stocks and futures. Didn’t mention options, though did mention them in the past.
    I’m actually wondering how much of their business is based on trading options.

dennis86 likes this.
  4. destriero

destriero

Have you ever heard the guy talk?

They are the largest vol-trader on the planet by an order of mag. I don't mean it in terms of edge but in the sense that it's just an overlay in absurd size.

The firm had a giant overlay/short reversal on that had hurt them in 2019 and early 2020 that paid off in March.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    guru likes this.
  5. Atikon

Atikon

If he really knows what direction the market is going more often than not, makes sense to sell some Calls/Puts for optimization. I understand that Buffets does the same thing on underlyings he want to own.

6. destriero

destriero

BTW, he's lying. They have fewer than 20 PMs and less than 40 PhDs overall. Perhaps the number peaked at 100 at some point. They have something around 200 ppl overall and obv the majority in back office roles.

7. guru

guru

So how is it possible to deduce what they actually do, and based on what data?

8. destriero

destriero

I can't say or eventually it will come back to me.

Nobert, 777 and guru like this.
  9. Atikon

Atikon

You can see what they hold atm of reporting based on the 13 f filing. But no Intel on options

murray t turtle and Nobert like this.
  10. destriero

destriero

Yeah, that's pointless as they get flat-vol the third Friday before the end of the quarter in listed-vol.

#10     Jul 11, 2020