Jim Simons, RIP -- dead at age 86

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Q.E.D., May 10, 2024.

1. TheDawn

TheDawn

As long as he came up with the original strategies, I don't mind him using the machines running the trades using his strategies really. I mean everything is done by machines nowadays. Dishes are washed by machines, clothes are washed by machines, floors are vacuumed by robots, arithmetic calculations are done by calculators and computers. Does that mean that we don't know how to wash dishes, wash clothes, vacuum the floor or do arithmetics? If not, then how is it different when it comes to trading using human-designed strategies? I would agree with you if it's AI that's come up with the trading strategies but if it's him who really came up with the strategies but just used machines to carry them out, it's still achievements by human and he deserved all of the accolades.

#41     May 12, 2024
  2. Ok,I guess I'm trying to say that you distilled it incorrectly....like a Gin I once had.:D

#42     May 12, 2024
    SunTrader likes this.
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

Yup, amazing how someone can "distill" something without ever having work at the "distillery".

#43     May 12, 2024
    semperfrosty likes this.
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

5. My uncle was a tobacco farmer in South Carolina, and smoked filterless Camel cigarettes.
    He died of lung cancer at 54, and his children continued to smoke after he died.

Some people have low learning curves.

#45     May 14, 2024
    semperfrosty and Money Trust like this.
  6. 54....damn.
    I'm gonna give his children a pass and attribute their actions to addiction being a hard thing to break.

#46     May 14, 2024
    semperfrosty likes this.
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

I never smoked, as we used to refer to them as, cancer sticks.

But my father, as well, died at age 54 from too many Lucky Strikes and Scotch Whiskey.

I'm 10+ years past that now. No ciggies but plenty of Becks in younger years and Pinot Noir in later years. :)

#47     May 14, 2024
    semperfrosty likes this.
  8. Overnight

Overnight

You need to learn some Jedi powers for your kids' sakes...

#48     May 14, 2024