Jim Rogers

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tommo, May 14, 2009.

1. Confronted with the volatility in the commodity markets he always argues:

Gold went down 50% in the seventies before spiking up 800%.

Oil fell 50% 3 times this decade before going to 150$ a barrel.

Not smart enough to time short term movements so just pick a trade based on fundamentals and go to the beach.

#11     May 14, 2009
  2. i'm going to take what jim rogers has to say before i believe any politician or bank executive.

#12     May 14, 2009
  3. And then you find floating dead bodies washed ashore of gold bugs from 1981, tech bulls from 1999 and commodity bulls from 2008. Fundamentals always look great before markets top out.

Regarding Rogers, I always wondered why we don't see a recent track record of his investments and instead he's still introduced as the "co-founder of the Quantum hedge fund with Soros in 1766" :cool:

#13     May 14, 2009
  4. Well, what makes owning commodities so different is that it can never go to zero.:)

I'd bet a few million people around the world would settle for such a deal today.

But anyway, sure, it's a guess as good as any other.

#14     May 14, 2009
  5. tommo

tommo

has Jim ever spoken of when he takes profit? Im very pro Jim so am just being devil's advocate but if you say "im buying this now" and wait 10 years at some point youre going to be in the money on that position, if you have enough positions on there will always be one to talk about as a hero trade.

My gut instinct tells me he is a very savvy investor and makes a lot of money, but would be nice to have some numbers to back up his talk

#15     May 15, 2009
  6. I have seen an extended interview with him, and he explains why he is wishy washy. Its because his lawyer wont allow him to be specific with his advice because he is liable to be sued.

In addition to that, if i were in his place, i would do the same thing, lawyer or not... I have put a lot of time and effort into what I do, no way am i going to give away information to the whole world that has taken me years to work out.

#16     May 22, 2009
  7. any man who is a nobel prize candidate is going to stick his neck out into the international media to announce his specific positions, not when he's got a fidcuciary responsibility to his own fund, and likely advises or influences the decisions of hundreds of others indirectly and directly, including has the ability to influence and/or advise specific economic decisions of top governments, especially those of the USA and the G7, if not every country in the world, including the IMF and World Bank...how long his list must be...
    knowing full well what he says will absolutely cause a shift in any financial market on both a micro and macro basis.

if jim rogers goes on the front page of the nytimes saying the usa is going bankrupt, then the usa is probably going bankrupt.

president obama is not going to ignore one of the most powerfully wealthy men in the world, or those he is closely associated with, namely the soros fund.

so the question for the little guy is, are you qualified to disrespect him given you are but a flea in a circus of a trillion other fleas?

or do you follow his every move?

if you listen to him closely, he is not vague about his positions, nor his entry or exit points. he shows up at the right time, almost every time, and his calls are better than most any other market strategist i've ever not listened to.

men like jim rogers are not motivated solely by greed, if at all at this point in their lives.

wealthy men in extreme positions of power become very aware of the impact of their words and actions, and if they are not totally devoid of conscience, will use that power for the general good of the world. they may personally profit from it, but they drag millions up with them.

if jim says a weaker usd is good for american exports to boost the economy and rebuild manufacturing away from china, then he's probably doing america a bigger favour than saying sell everything and abandon ship before it sinks. because it is sinking.

but be assured he's short the whole time making billions for his clients when he does.

#17     May 22, 2009
  8. I totally disagree with your assessment.
    You've obviously been drinking from the JR "Kool-Aid" far too long. The guy is ANYTHING but specific regarding his calls.

And as far as heads of State are concerned, I bet they couldn't give a rats ass about what he has to say. Soros and Gross and el-Erian carry some weight, but even then, the market place is bigger than ALL of them.

P.S. I am good friends with the former head financial futures trader for the Quantum Fund during its hay-day.

#18     May 22, 2009
  9. piezoe

piezoe

I don't know? I heard him say some time back that he was short Treasuries.
    That's pretty damn specific.

#19     May 22, 2009
  10. Is he still short?

Did he tell you where his stop loss is and at what point he would say that he is WRONG? Have you ever noticed that he's never had a losing trade while being interviewed on television?

Of course not.

Do yourself a favor and use the SEARCH function here on ET and you will come across a Bloomberg interview of Rogers in which the gal actually asks some very specific questions ( instead of the usual "softball" ones that get asked on CNBC ) and you will find that she "catches" Rogers in a little "white" lie in regards to one of his alleged positions.

It's a most telling interview.
    :)

#20     May 22, 2009