Jim Rogers on CNBC

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Landis82, Nov 26, 2008.

1. He's running the fund to start with, because he's bullish on commodities. Why would he come on CNBC and say he is bearish? If he is bearish, presumably he would disband the fund.

#11     Nov 26, 2008

2. You're out to lunch on this one.

#12     Nov 26, 2008
  3. Funny thing is, I'd probably react the same way and I trade 100's of stocks daily myself.

It really depends on your trading style. I really don't give a crap about the individual stocks/companies. They're just a "vehicle" to a destination.

#13     Nov 26, 2008
  4. me2

me2

show how ridiculous cnbc is - griffith 'has' to get an answer about what he would buy in usa market.

#14     Nov 26, 2008
  5. Stok

Stok

CNBC is USA's biggest cheerleader :D

#15     Nov 26, 2008
  6. Everyone knows he's a commodities bull ... in all the interviews I've seen of him, I don't think I've ever once heard him mention an individual commodities stock or any other individual name for that matter. Maybe he plays ETFs only, I don't know, or maybe he just doesn't like to be pinned down on calling individual companies.

Bottom line, there've been plenty of times when he's stated which sectors he bought and when. JR knows what he's doing and on the whole is pretty open about his investment ideas.

#16     Nov 26, 2008
  7. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

LOL.

Rogers gets people fired up.

Did some people here get caught in the tech bubble and missed the huge commodity run? Sour grapes. Here on ET? Nah. :D

Probably just because he's a super intelligent Master of the Universe.

Rogers started investing in commodities and telling people about them in the late 90's (look it up on Bloomberg) when most people were buying tech stocks at the top.

Rogers started shorting financials and THE INVESTMENT BANKS and telling people about it well before the crash (also on Bloomie). Too bad he didn't explain EXACTLY WHAT the IB's were doing. Maybe it could have been stopped before it morphed into a melt down.

Buffet also mentioned this derivative/IB problem in general, but didn't explain exactly what was happening either. You know he knew EXACTLY what the IBs were doing.

It's mildly annoying that nether explained it so the boob tube watchers could get it.

(oops meant to post this on the other thread)

#17     Nov 26, 2008
  8. dhpar

dhpar

exactly.

only ET gays are spending their time discussing if somebody trades or not.

the only that matters if he makes sense or not. full stop.

#18     Nov 26, 2008
  9. I recall that Rogers had said that ETFs were the way to go instead of mutual funds when ETFs were in their infancy.

As for his intentions to buy certain commodities, he leaves me confused. I recall an instant where he said, in an interview, he would by gold at $600, as he felt the IMF had to sell gold to cover their loans, and if it went to $900 he would buy.

What was wrong with buying it @ 700+ when he gave the interview? I must be missing something:confused:

He is proud to advertise that he covered his "shorts" in the equity market in October, but at no time did he ever state what equities he had shorted in the past.

Personally, I like to listen to his point of view as it is thought provoking, but will not necessarily let it interfere with my own trading as Rogers, in my opinion, is somewhat glib.

#19     Nov 27, 2008
  10. He has said plainly all his money is tied up in his Rogers International Commodities Index. He started that index in 1998 to drive home the point that he was bullish on commodities even as everyone went ape-shit over tech stocks. He was going on CNBC 1998-2001 tell everyone they were full of sh*t. He deserves credit for that. Returns on his index are posted at the link below. Note his indices rebalance every year, thus automatically taking profits in the strongest commodity markets, and loading up on the weakest. Given recent volatility it might have made sense to rebalance every 6 months ... not sure.

In June the index was up 472% since 1998. That has come down to 214% at end-Oct. He is always overweight oil, which explains the recent volatility. On the plus side, the index will rebalance end-Dec, which means he will add more oil at expense of other commodities. He'll definitely top that 472% within the next 24 months.

http://www.rogersrawmaterials.com/page1.html

#20     Nov 27, 2008