jim rogers on cnbc today....

Discussion in 'Trading' started by S2007S, Mar 12, 2008.

1. wow what an interview. I dont know if this guy is making money or not but all his calls over the last 3 years have been right on. I dont see why anyone would question if he is making money, cuz i havnt seen anyone anywhere make better predictions that this guy. thanks for posting the interview

#31     Mar 13, 2008
  2. Probably hasnt made sqaut. Potectionism has been the worng way to go since 2002

#32     Mar 13, 2008
  3. R1234

R1234

Jim Rogers has made great predictions in the past but also some dumb ones. His foresight is somewhat mixed.

#33     Mar 13, 2008
  4. First off, it does not take a "rocket-scientist" to figure out ( or observe ) that the dollar has been in a strong DOWNTREND and that commodities have been rallying . . . Why does anyone on ET think that figuring out the above observations is so freaking difficult???

Many traders are able to do this.
    Few make it on to CNBC to say "look at me, I was able to identify a downtrend in the dollar".

Jesus Christ.

#34     Mar 13, 2008
  5. Yes, over the last couple of years Rogers has been right about commodities and the dollar. What you might not know is that he has been around for the past 30 years and some of his "calls" haven't been that great. For some of the "newbies" on ET, they fail to realize this.

The guy met George Soros while both worked at Arnold & S. Bleichroeder in 1970. They co-founded the Quantum Fund together and Rogers "retired" and took his partnership split in 1980. Has he been an active fund manager of any kind since his days at Quantum?

I don't think so.
    I believe that he attached his "name" as a backer of Beeland Management, LLC., a commodity pool, but he was never at Beeland in a position as a money manager/trader. He was a general partner, only.

#35     Mar 13, 2008
  6. Glad you feel the need to spend your time trying to "educate" us about Jim Rogers. I have followed him for years. Has he made bad calls? Yes. Has he made good calls? Absolutely. I don't agree with him on everything but the man knows how to make money in the market and has never been shy about telling the world his positions. I respect that about him but I really could care less if you or anyone else does either. I don't feel the need to spend my time trying to change someone else's opinion.

#36     Mar 13, 2008
  7. Wow, looks like I struck a nerve being "critical" of your God Mr. Rogers . . .

In similar vein, have you ever noticed that the likes of Stevie Cohen or Paul Tudor Jones or Stanley Druckenmiller avoid CNBC ( and the media in general ) like the plague?

It's because they actually do TRADE and make MONEY.
    Feel free to think about that for a minute or two.

#37     Mar 13, 2008
  8. YEARS AGO HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO SHORT THE Q'S. WELL THEY KEPT GOING UP AND UP. SO I FINALLY EMAILED HIM AND ASKED IF HE WAS STILL SHORT AND HE ANSWERED THAT HE'D COVERED.

SO I ASKED HIM WHY HE DIDN'T BOTHER TO AT LEAST GET A TECHNICAL SIGNAL BEFORE HE STARTED TO SHORT AND HE REPLIED THAT NEXT TIME HE WOULD PROBABLY THINK ABOUT THAT..

THE DAY THAT HE CALLED KUDLOW A LIAR WAS THE BEST DAY ON CNBC EVER FOR ME.

IT WAS ALSO HIS LAST DAY.LOL

REGARDS

#38     Mar 13, 2008
  9. nolajy

nolajy

I was at an art showing three years ago and we were all walking around with our overly full free wine glasses trying to pretend to be sophisticated art snobs, and I came across a man admiring a few chicken scratches on a piece of canvas. The physically small price tag was a little deceiving since the original painting was $ 2350. I looked at the guy with a smirk, and I said.. I could have done that!.. He stepped back and looked at me for a pause that seemed like forever and he said.. SURE .... BUT YOU DIDN'T!...
    turns out this was the artist of the chicken scratch painting.. my point evenhough long winded is that it is very easy to make a call in almost any market... but it is a true trader who puts theit money where their mouth is...

there is no poin tin saying I called a top or bottom or a continuation and congratulating yourslef unless you actually made the trade and profited from it.

#39     Mar 13, 2008
  10. LOL, jim roger was so pissed in that video. But he does make some good points.

Hmm maybe it's time to learn commodity futures.. what about buying wheat and hold it for a year or 2. :p

#40     Mar 13, 2008