Jim Rogers, not so bright?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Daal, Dec 12, 2006.

1. SouthAmerica: This thread should be in Chit Chat

#31     Jan 20, 2007
  2. How can you not like Jimmy? It's always refreshing when someone is willing to speak there mind without qualifiers. I remember in the go go days he was always coming on CNBC cornering the market in pomegranate seeds or other far flung investments. It was a funny act, with the bow tie. I thought he was gay -good for him with the young wife!

#32     Jan 29, 2007
  3. Most people don't know...he's actually Chinese..
    HARO!

#33     Jan 29, 2007
  4. Hey, southamerica, what is the reason for you to write your name in front of your own post ?

Jim Rogers is a very successful trader investor. Why do you think this thread should be placed in chitchat?

"James "Jim" Beeland Rogers, Jr (born 19 October 1942) is co founder along with George Soros, of the Quantum Fund. College professor, author, world traveler, economic commentator and creator of the Rogers International Commodities Index (RICI). He grew up in Demopolis, Alabama, and got started in business at the age of five, selling peanuts. He got his first job on Wall Street, at Dominick & Dominick, in 1964 after graduating from Yale University. When he got the job he "didn't know anything" about Wall Street, and "didn't even know that there was a difference between stocks and bonds," but he "instantly fell in love" with that kind of work.

The same year, he and Soros founded the Quantum Fund. During the following 10 years the fund gained 3,365% according to Mr. Rogers ("from 12-31-1969 to 12-31-1980, the Soros Fund chalked up a gain of 3,365%") while the Dow Industrials advanced about 20% (963.99/800.36) ([1]). It was one of the first truly international funds. In 1980, he decided to "retire."

Since then, he's been a guest professor of finance at the Columbia University Graduate School of Business. In 1989 and 1990 he was the moderator of WCBS's "The Dreyfus Roundtable" and FNN's "The Profit Motive with Jim Rogers." In 2002, he became a regular guest on FOX News Cavuto on Business which airs every Saturday.

In 1998 he founded the Rogers International Commodity Index, which has increased 263% since Aug. 1, 1998 (as of June 2006). In 2005, Rogers wrote the book Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market. In this book, Rogers quotes a Financial Analysts Journal academic paper co-authored by Yale School of Management professor, Geert Rouwenhorst, titled Facts and Fantasies about Commodity Futures. Rogers contends this paper shows that commodities investment is one of the best investments over time, which is a concept counter to conventional investment thinking."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Rogers

#34     Jan 29, 2007
  5. I think he is correct that China will be the next superpower (which, given that China has 5 times the population of the US is not a particularly recondite prediction). However, I tend to think that he lacks historical context - does he know anything about Chinese history?

In some way Rogers has become a good contrary indicator (given that I'm bearish about commodities) which is a pity given that he used to be a very savvy investor.

#35     Jan 30, 2007
  6. Let's see...he used to be "savvy" until his opinion diverged from "skippupwood". What a riot!:D And your track record is?

OldTrader

#36     Jan 30, 2007