Jim Rogers: My First Million

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Debaser82, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

My experience has taught me hard work is completely overrated. Spending one's time working efficiently and with laser precision yields FAR better results. Working smart trumps working hard any day of the week. Just my opinion based on my experience.

#11     Nov 24, 2009
  2. I once read somewhere Rogers used to have a column in a magazine sharing stock tips all trough the nineties?

Were they any good?:)

#12     Nov 27, 2009
  3. EON Kid

EON Kid

I don't view the two as mutually exclusive, neither do I think its overrated.

#13     Nov 28, 2009
  4. kxvid

kxvid

Hard work will only get you so far if you are working for someone else. At a certain point you will be giving the excess value you create to your employer.

Working smart is a step in the right direction. However if you are unwilling to do hard work at least for a period of your life your chances of making it diminish. Working hard + smart + determination is the ultimate path to riches.

#14     Nov 28, 2009
  5. I am in a hedge fund and getting HNW clients is not easy and yes I agree with you completely. Get their money and the rest is BS...

#15     Nov 28, 2009
  6. lrm21

lrm21

Your point is? Rogers laid it out. it doesnt matter what you have all that matters is what you can get. Thats what makes America so freaking beautiful.

Yeah he had $600 partnered with a Jew who survived the holocaust, and they hit up the creme de la creme of NY society for some cash. The other secret is they delivered.

The hard part many times isnt getting the cash it is delivering. Plenty of people had tons of cash in 04-07 how many are still left standing.

The same game was played in 96-99 with the internet.

There where plenty of guys who were king of the hill as some hedgefund prima donna or CEO of some vaporware company, and are now setting under a pile of debt polishing middle managers knobs, just to keep their paycheck.

#16     Nov 29, 2009
  7. loza

loza Guest

No he is not...Woody Allen said the only smart thing he ever said; "70-percent of life's success is showing up at the right time and AT THE RIGHT PLACE". He was with Soros, and I am not saying Soros is smarter than he is but connections matter when you run a fund. At least 50-50, in terms of smarts/good timing the markets. You can be a good investor but IF nobody will give you serious money to manage, you will not make it big. If you do not think this way, good luck with your pipe dreams, they likely remain dreams.....

#17     Nov 30, 2009