Jim Rogers, Bullish on Airlines

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cashmoney69, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Actually, it was the opposite. I attended one of his presentations about ~15 months ago. He said he was buying Airline bonds as a pure contrarian bet - that he couldn't identify why they were a good buy except that everyone was so extremely bearish. Seemed a bit unlike him at the time. (He may have in fact offered some fundamental reasons but didn't do it in a convincing way - didn't seem wholly convinced himself and wasn't suggesting he was buying on fundamentals.) I might recall him saying his bonds were secured by assets, but it has been a while.

#21     Jul 31, 2006
  2. That's certainly out of character.

It has been a good play of course.

Don't suppose you know if he's decided on which Asian city to settle down in do you?

#22     Jul 31, 2006
  3. zdreg

zdreg

bonds being backed by airplanes was the reason he bought. your memory is correct.

#23     Jul 31, 2006
  4. eagle

eagle

Definitely, I agree with you that everyone can have an opinion on the market's future behavior. However, "Markets are never wrong; opinions are, JL". The fact that majority of us think that the Airline Industry will not be a good investment then it is just confirming that Mr. Rogers is likely right.

I have a gut feeling that the Airline will be fine to the premise that modern economy is in the exchange state [countries are exchanging products and services] that will need a transportation and as well the oil will top soon, one day or another; nothing is always going up. The reason for the oil will top is that people will not accept or stay in the painful state for a long time, they will find new way to replace oil energy.

#24     Jul 31, 2006
  5. Interesting. I guess he was (as always) a bit too earlier.

#25     Jul 31, 2006
  6. He's been hinting at a move to Singapore ... not sure I take it entirely at face value. We'll see.

Marc Faber, who runs on a media circuit similar to Rogers, is based in ChiangMai. Even has pics of his house on his website:

http://www.gloomboomdoom.com/public/pSTD.cfm?pageSPS_ID=5200

Now that is the way to go.

#26     Jul 31, 2006
  7. Faber's move makes sense - because I think his wife is Thai.

Also, Thailand is such an inexpensive and yet relatively civil/safe place to live in. From HK, it's like increasing your net worth by 3 or 4 times I bet. He must take planes out of Chang Mai though because Bangkok traffic is a killer!

#27     Jul 31, 2006
  8. Yes ... it (also) makes sense because ChiangMai is such a laid back, beautiful place to live. But that is perhaps off topic ...

#28     Jul 31, 2006
  9. Listen sonny...I have more money than Jimmy does and while he is an ok guy when he is taking it EASY, doesn't anyone find it strange that he is saying buy the airlines and at the same time is predicting oil to hit $100 a barrel?

What do you think airplanes run on..
    Water?
    DUH

And to Jimmy..

It's bout time to smarten-up Jim!!

#29     Jul 31, 2006
  10. toryj

toryj

Wouldn't high oil prices kill off the weaker airlines and allow the strong companies to finally take control of the industry?

#30     Aug 1, 2006