Jim Rogers, Bullish on Airlines

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by cashmoney69, Jul 30, 2006.

1. =============
    Laugh out loud, OldTrader, good one , however;
    here is another way to look on it like maybe cashmoney.

Actually continuing that fun question you asked; Cashmonry;
    dont have a long track recoed on long stock-airlines and dont want one.

However do like to fly AMR[still have frequent flyer miles], Delta,;
    and LFL has had some fine uptrends, all have great customer service. I am perfectly content to read about Steve Cohens hedge fund [SAC] long airline stock positions , if my memory serves me correctly,without taking any long airline stock.myself:p

Hey I am admitting to enjoy airline food also:D

#11     Jul 31, 2006
  2. romik

romik

great remark

#12     Jul 31, 2006
  3. ===============

Pabst;
    Probably right.

Perfectly content to look at the 70 years of mostly downtrends;
    and go long/short ES- emini some, rather than airline stocks.

No wonder some buy thier bonds;
    ailines like LFL, AMR, Delta have great customer service ,food., fun way to travel......:cool:

#13     Jul 31, 2006
  4. zdreg

zdreg

maybe you should start drinking. all kind of good things might happen.

#14     Jul 31, 2006
  5. zdreg

zdreg

if that isn't the truth. the world is full of alot more people with opinions than with track records.

you must have been watching jim rogers on cnbc on sunday. was it just a coincidence that you started this thread on the same day?

#15     Jul 31, 2006
  6. Yes, I was.

#16     Jul 31, 2006
  7. I'll take the other side:p having both worked for an airline (CAL) and both long 2001-2003 and currently short (put calendar). Airlines at least in this country will never consistently make money. They are probably the most labor intensive/capital intensive industry there is. Using 9/11 (perhaps justifiably) they have cut wages to the bone and on top of that have made non-rev travel hard to come by...which is a BIG perk. IF they start to make money you are going to see the natives restless and wage pressure will rise.
    That , the continued high cost of oil , and stiff competition keeping seats cheap will keep the profit lid tightly sealed. JMO

#17     Jul 31, 2006
  8. I think most people forget that a long time ago in a galaxy far away, Rogers began life as a stellar stock analyst at Arnold Bleichroeder with an attention to detail.

He wasn't always a guy in a bow tie on TV giving sound bites and making attention grabbing predictions.

If he's buying airlines, I think it's a safe bet to say he's done a lot of homework on the matter - a lot more than the average ET poster at any rate, before coming to that conclusion.

#18     Jul 31, 2006
  9. I remember someone said that opinion is like asshole, everyone get one.

#19     Jul 31, 2006