Jigsaw Is Hiring - JS Devs, C# Devs, Customer Support....

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by JigsawTrading, Sep 15, 2020.

1. fan27

fan27

I work for a $4 billion in sales company that runs most of the company on a winforms application. Users love it and it is easy to modify.

#11     Sep 15, 2020
  2. snusky...leave ol' stochastixs alone he does fine with Fortran....hehe just kidding.

ES

#12     Sep 15, 2020
    stochastix likes this.
  3. One thing you can guarantee about developers - they sure have strongly held opinions!

#13     Sep 16, 2020
  4. for sure... for sureo_O

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    #14     Sep 16, 2020
  5. Yeah - the more control you have the better you can control performance. I like winforms over WPF for that.

Sometimes, I look at where I started as a developer - you would know every command in a language. Basic, Cobol, Fortran, PL1 and a bunch of other stuff that died a death and rghtly so.

Nowadays languages have grown massively. But IMO - the less abstraction there is, the better, I like winforms as you have a lot of control over when to paint. The more abstraction and automation layers the UI has, the less you control it and keep it humming along.

Of course - given 2 devs of similar skills, C++ is faster at execution time - but the learning curve is steep and the resource pool is shallow. You can make C# sing and dance with threading and proper UI control.

As for Java - isn't that for TVs and Refrigerators?

#15     Sep 17, 2020
  6. One other thing - working with programmers is like herding cats.

#16     Sep 17, 2020
    ElectricSavant and stochastix like this.
  7. "
    As for Java - isn't that for TVs and Refrigerators?
    "
    Funnily enough that's what it started out as . the JVM has gotten to a point where runtime performance is better than equivalent c/c++ programs in many cases, and it takes much less time to develop, not having to worry about memory leaks. The fact that javascript even exists is because people started trying to use web browsers for things it was not intended.

laughs at fan27, sounds like some guy who thinks that since he works at a large company hes a genius or that somehow validates whatever he is calling a "user" . wow a 4 billion dollar company, whatever that means.

“There are only two industries that refer to their customers as 'users': illegal drugs and software. " — Edward Tufte.

I've created everything from opengl video card drivers to speech recognition to database systems, web stuff, higher mathematics, linear algebra, games, automated trading systems.

I agree that abstraction somewhat sucks, but c# is no more bare metal than java really.

stephen@bb:~$ apt-cache search winforms
    python3-webview - Build GUI for your Python program with JavaScript, HTML, and CSS

nothing about it in Debian or Ubuntu that I can find, thats enough to know that its trash and microsoft is still the evil empire, embracing FUD (fear uncertainty and denial) .

Someone recently died in germany because a hospital running windows was too incompetent to figure out what to do because they got "ransomed" .. shit software.. people become "trained" or brainwashed on it, and then cant figure out what to do because they dont know how anything really works.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/first...ing-a-ransomware-attack-on-a-german-hospital/

#17     Sep 17, 2020
  8. Good stuff but

"JVM has gotten to a point where runtime performance is better than equivalent c/c++ programs in many cases"

- You do realize how many people would totally lose their sh*t over that, right??? lol

I try not to think about software too much when I'm in an airplane for the same reason as that ZDNET article.

Ultimately, most programmers are the dumbest smart people you will ever know. High IQ, low common sense. I ran a software shop for a Japanese MNC and part of that was R&D - some of those guys were nuts. You'd brainstorm and at the end of the session, I'd ask - "ok xxxx - how long to do your part?" and the answer would often be something like "Between 48 hours and 3 months...." Managing a project was hilarious....

The fact we've whittled down to 2/3main Operating Systems is great. It was a pain before with Dec Vax, Solaris UNIX (and all the other breeds), AS400, system 38, DataPoint, DOS - I'm glad there's just a few now but also glad there's not just 1. So Microsoft Vs Linux - be glad we have both.

Software - is an industry where you can create something of value from an idea and there are not that many industries you can say that about. I mean - you couldn't take a concept for a new car to market on your own.

So I guess the pain of dealing with high-functioning weirdo's is a small price to pay.

#18     Sep 17, 2020
    stochastix likes this.
  9. ph1l

ph1l

You probably don't want to know what programmers think about their management.:)
    upload_2020-9-17_13-53-57.png

#19     Sep 17, 2020
  10. Thats why I dont code for other people any more. Finding out what they want is just absurd. "i want a button... ohh that color is wrong... nevermind that it computes the future price of this contract. an entire industry of "agile consultants" has popped up, to convince companies better ways to "manage their resources" or some such draconion insult. and what does it devolve into? a bunch of people staring at a computer trying to type something in rather than you know, just doing it. you havent lived until you've seen a bunch of people in a corporate office just poised.. sorta blankly staring into space trying to look busy but they cant get away or else they are in trouble... I once saw a guy fall out in front of the computer and seize out when i worked at travelocity back in the day.. its not the healthiest lifestyle. people generally dont know any better. it was funny, i saw some kid waving his hands and pointing everywhere on the screen " and this is hooplah, and thats the diggidty logs over there". and the worst part is, its all physics and shit, and people think they know how it works. but none of the kids could describe a cpu, or how instruction sets worked. </end old programmer rant>

#20     Sep 17, 2020
    PoundTheRock and VPhantom like this.