Jesus Christ born this day

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by wilburbear, Dec 25, 2008.

1. "I go to prepare a place for you. And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also"

2. Merry Christmas,Happy Hanukkah and thanksgiving-early:cool:
    My calender today says''the armies of heaven praising God;
    glory to God..........

3. King of Kings and Lord of Lords... what a Glorious God we have!! Merry Christmas one and all!!

4. Wallet

Wallet

Jesus was born of a Virgin, a fulfillment of a prophecy foretold in Isaiah. Matthew and Luke did not create a story they just related the facts.

This is a central prerequisite for the Christian faith, for without this fact Jesus would be just a normal man unable to atone for his own sin let alone be a propitiation for the sin of Mankind. But because he was born of the Holy Spirit via Mary, he was both God and man, as noted in (John 1) The Word became flesh........ incapable of sin, and perfect to stand as God's sacrifice of redemption, the only way to perfectly redeem an imperfect mankind was a perfect sacrifice, that of himself.

The virgin birth was but one of the nearly 200 prophecies that Jesus fulfilled, however there are more that will be fulfilled upon his second coming.

This is a matter of Christian faith, please don't waist anyone's time trying to compare elements of Zoasterism or anything else.

Merry Christmas

5. its all primitive superstition. jesus was just a normal man elevated to deity status by his followers after his death much like martin luther king today:
    It seems to me like there are an awful lot a Christians out there that seem absolutely positive that Jesus is, of course, unique and the first of his kind. They are unaware that the myth of their Christ is similar to several other god-men myths. Here are some of those other mythical god-men that Jesus, the Christian Messiah, apparently shares roots with. Does anything about these Gods that predate the christian God sound familiar? Think about these the next time you read the bible and ask yourself why do Gods that predate christianity have the same attributes as biblegod.
    Of course the answer is very clear if you open your mind to the truth. Christianity is a mismash of earlier religions that borrowed its myths from earlier gods. Here is a list of some earlier gods. Does anything sound familiar:
    Zoroaster/Zarathustra

--Zoroaster was born of a virgin and “immaculate conception by a ray of divine reason.”
    --He was baptized in a river.
    --In his youth he astounded wise men with his wisdom.
    --He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil.
    --He began his ministry at age 30.
    --Zoroaster baptized with water, fire and “holy wind.”
    --He cast out demons and restored the sight to a blind man.
    --He taught about heaven and hell, and revealed mysteries, including resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse.
    --He had a sacred cup or grail.
    --He was slain.
    --His religion had a eucharist.
    --He was the “Word made flesh.”
    Mithra of Persia

--Mithra was born of a virgin on December 25 in a cave, and his birth was attended by shepherds bearing gifts.
    --He was considered a great traveling teacher and master.
    --He had 12 companions or disciples.
    --Mithra’s followers were promised immortality.
    --He performed miracles.
    Attis of Phrygia

--Attis was born on December 25 of the Virgin Nana.
    --He was considered the savior who was slain for the salvation of mankind.
    --His body as bread was eaten by his worshippers
    --His priests were “eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven.”
    --He was both the Divine Son and the Father.
    Dionysus/Bacchus
    --Dionysus was born of a virgin on December 25 and, as the Holy Child, was placed in a manger.
    --He was a traveling teacher who performed miracles.
    --He “rode in a triumphal procession on an a##.”
    --He was a sacred king killed and eaten in an eucharistic ritual for fecundity and purification.
    --Dionysus rose from the dead on March 25.

Horus

--Horus was born of the virgin Isis-Merion December 25 in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.
    --His earthly father was named “Seb” (“Joseph”).
    --He was of royal descent.
    --At at 12, he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized having disappeared for 18 years.

Krishna of India

--Krishna was born of the Virgin Devaki (“Divine One”) on December 25.
    --His earthly father was a carpenter, who was off in the city paying tax while Krishna was born.
    --His birth was signaled by a star in the east and attended by angels and shepherds, at which time he was presented with spices

6. Wallet

Wallet

The 1st mention of Dec 25 was indeed an early roman calendar A.D. 336.

Most believe that Constantine 1, a Christian convert, set the date as an attempt to either unify or convert his empire to Christianity. The date was originally celebrated by a couple of pagan festivals, in conjunction with the Winter solstice, Constantine blended the Nativity into these earlier festivals which celebrated births the Roman god Saturn and the Persian god Mithras (light).

Christmas was originally set up as a, HOLY DAY or Holiday everyone got together had a feast and exchanged gifts.

While we are not positive of the actual date, we set aside this day to remember and rejoice the physical birth of our Savior.

7. stu

stu

LOL dude, that's really good.
    Bit weird, but very funny.

Merry Christmas.

8. the prophiecies again. how many times do we have to debunk that? christian apologetics is like a fake email that just keeps coming back. no matter how many times it is debunked it keeps coming back. we need a snopes for christians i think.

http://winace.andkon.com/proph4dums/#retroactive_shoehorning
    http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/983front.html

9. Wallet

Wallet

Those that do not believe in the Divinity of Jesus can draw from their own intellect a gazillion reasons and sources to disprove, and the flip side those that do believe have their own scriptures and sources to quote, in the end the debate is futile when cast on each other.

The Faith to believe is not natural for man.......

Regardless of reason I know what's real to me, and that nothing can shake.

Merry Christmas vhehn,

#10     Dec 26, 2008