Jesse Livermore's unknown psychology

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Oct 20, 2003.

1. It was a <i>movie</i>. And I don't think the guys were <i>really</i> happy after all. That's why the one guy turned the others in, after his customer's wife took the kids and left him. Remember?

#41     Oct 23, 2003
  2. TJ.

TJ.

Thank you oswald, and yes it can be a cage.

#42     Oct 23, 2003
  3. According to some people on this thread,
    livermore should have been HAPPIER after losing
    all his money :D

Yeah whatever...

All else being equal, money is a happiness enabler.

The things that bring me the most joy in life require MONEY.

Even the bare necessities OF MY LIFE require MONEY.
    Food anyone? Water anyone?

Without money... there is NO happiness, because your dead :D ( from starvation/dehydration, lack of medical care, etc)

These cliches really are quite silly.

I wonder how many of the people who claim that money can't
    buy you happiness would REJECT a billion dollar check tomorrow? :)
    Surely you would reject something that could make you miserable? :D

peace

axeman

#43     Oct 23, 2003
  4. No since it's a circle not a spiral haha !

#44     Oct 23, 2003
  5. Is It that some of you absolutly need an immaculated speculator to justify your own action :D. He failed at the end of his life ... like many great speculators beginning at least with John Law - at least this one didn't suicide. If he failed you can fail also perhaps that's the unconscious thought that makes you so nervous, as for me I consider that it is a necessity to be lucid because when you expect the danger you can better prepare to avoid it.

#45     Oct 23, 2003
  6. The verb "Failed" is not too strong since he said it himself:

http://www.lambertganneducators.com/newsletters/jesselivermore.php

Unable to accumulate money at the rate he previously did, Livermore decided to sell his trading secrets in the form of a book. How to Trade Stocks was published in 1940 in two versions - a leather-bound edition, and an 'any man's' edition. The book failed to capture the trading public's hearts and minds.

Later that year, Jesse Livermore consumed two drinks in the Sherry-Netherland Hotel in Manhattan. He wrote an eight-page letter to his third wife, saying to her <font color=red>"my life has been a failure"</font>.

The man who had affectionately become known as the Boy Plunger, the Great Bear, and the Cotton King, then walked into the hotel's hat-check room, sat in a chair, and shot himself in the head. So ended the life of someone who was arguably the greatest trader of all time. Jesse Livermore, trader extraordinaire, the man who had made millions, left an estate of less than $10,000.

#46     Oct 23, 2003
  7. Fine, but your original point was that you thought it was a big revelation to say "money does not by happiness." As my 7 year old niece would say... Duh.

#47     Oct 23, 2003
  8. You could probably make a little less sense if you tried... no wait, you couldn't.

#48     Oct 23, 2003
  9. No offense but your points are nearly unintelligible. I have no idea why you think I'm nervous or anticipating danger of any sort. If you want to resort to ad hominem, be my guest. I'll have none of it.

#49     Oct 23, 2003
  10. Where did I say that it was a big revelation ? :D. I said that Jesse Livermore maniaco-depressive state was a revelation at least for me and I conclude by the WELL-KNOWN popular phrase that you quoted yourself. You are evil-minded by travesting what I said.

#50     Oct 24, 2003