Jesse Livermore's unknown psychology

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Oct 20, 2003.

1. I was always taught that happiness was found in the bottom of
    a bottle of rum... :D

#11     Oct 21, 2003
  2. You must have some lack of logic, you don't even have the basic binary logic of a computer. "doesn't prevent" means that if someone is unhappy money cannot ALWAYS be a remedy and the illustration is given by Jesse Livermore's case which is all the more demonstrative that he was considered as the richest speculator of his time - and don't tell me that you could suspect that he had such a depressive personality. So I didn't say that someone cannot be happy because he is rich. A => B is not equivalent to B => A.

Personally the more I am rich the more I am happy, as you see it doesn't apply to my case. But as for sure It doesn't come exclusively from that but from personal life which is above money. When you don't have personal life or a tumultuous personal life - and I suspect that it was the case with Livermore since he had too many romances with ladies so that combined with period of failures can be devastating :D - money cannot cure for sure it can perhaps help to forget like alcohol.

#12     Oct 21, 2003
  3. Rich or poor: Get a bottle of trazadone from your drug store for $5 for a months supply and you will be happy too.:D

regards

#13     Oct 21, 2003
  4. I don't think anything about Livermore's depressions are unknown. In fact he's on a floating Internet message about Depression-era speculators and financiers who either killed themselves or died penniless.

Money does not buy happiness is not a revelation. It's at best a half-true axiom. The fact is neither does lack of money mean happiness nor does having money preclude happiness. Happiness is subjective thing.

#14     Oct 21, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

I always thought happiness was a warm puppy :confused:

#15     Oct 21, 2003
  6. Tea

Tea

Comparison is the source of all happiness and despair

If you are poor you can be happy if everyone else is poor.

Rich can be miserable if their contemporaries are richer.

If you want people to like you, don't make others feel inadequate in comparison to you.

If you want to like yourself, don't compare yourself to others in a way that will make you feel inadequate.

This applies to money, physical looks, talent, spouses etc.

Money can't make you happy - only your mind can make you happy.

#16     Oct 21, 2003
  7. Anything really ? You are his grand son perhaps to know so much about him :D
    Sorry but I didn't know he was so maniaco-depressive since he doesn't appear so in the book about his life.

And if it doesn't seem astonishing to you that being such a state he could conduct a trader's career ?

#17     Oct 21, 2003
  8. Yes, I am Jesse Livermore's grandson... Carl Livermore.:D

I've read two books about JL. His depression and the two pics you included in your original post are in one of them. So that's a 50% score.

No, it seems astonishing to me not at all. Many people have tremendous careers while clinically depressed. Happens. Life is funny.

#18     Oct 21, 2003
  9. Many people have tremendous careers while clinically depressed

Ted Turner and Robin Williams are two current examples...

#19     Oct 21, 2003
  10. Don't forget Terry Bradshaw

#20     Oct 21, 2003