Jesse Livermore suicide

Discussion in 'Trading' started by kingfisher3210, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Is committing suicide as a way to go really a test of mental illness? As opposed to what, the modern way of dying, being hooked up to a ventilator 24/7 and shot up full of drugs constantly and people stabbing you with needles every morning to draw blood and blasting you with X-rays?

#11     Dec 15, 2012
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

This. 90% of posters here would have done the same, had they been married to that bitch... Add a little mental illness, an age of 63 and there you have it...

#12     Dec 15, 2012
  3. I find that interesting too.

It's said that during their manic stage, they accomplish so much.. they believe things that others would be afraid to believe. As long as they have some sort of system in place (family, friends etc..) to help them in the bad times, their "wins far outweigh their losses".

This link is to a long list of famous people that struggle with bipolar disorder.

http://www.mental-health-today.com/bp/famous_people.htm

#13     Dec 15, 2012
  4. Visaria

Visaria

I read somewhere he left a portfolio of carefully chosen stocks for his wife, which unfortunately, she was persuaded to sell. Had she kept the portfolio, it would have been worth 10x the value within 10 years or such.

#14     Dec 15, 2012
    zdreg likes this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3072573&highlight=bipolar#post3072573

I live without drugs for this disease, none seem to help enough to overcome the side effects. I can say my younger years were much more difficult than now, but as everyone ages, one gains wisdom. I am getting better in my fight with Prostate cancer, but I have my days when all is a tough trial to get out of bed. My great grandfather, grandfather, father, his two brothers and two male cousins on father's side were of this disease and all committed suicide, I am the only one still kicking. I often have unusual thought processes that are not normal within society's norm, now I think they are funny, one can train themselves with professional help what is normal and what is not. I have always looked at suicide as easy way out, life is an adventure and God never gives anyone more than they can chew. Life can always be worse and it can be better, with effort, life can change.

I don't know if bi-polar helped me or hindered my ability to become a good trader, but I do recall 75 hours being up without sleep. I do see charts sometimes in different ways and can't really explain why I see what I see.

I think too many in America want to pass the buck on why they can't do something, always blaming someone or something else. There are many things I can't do, but that is up to me to learn how. And if I can't do something, so long as I gave it my all is all that counts to me. But too many quit without giving it all, that's the easy way out.

WE ALL have battles in one way or another, many have problems of discipline, you either over come or ....

#15     Dec 15, 2012
    ValeryN likes this.
  6. #16     Dec 15, 2012
  7. pemully

pemully

ed seykota said Livermore was syphilitic,I don't know how he knew this since there is no evidence.

However Livermore wrote the only part of the game that beat him was learning to stop when conditions were unfavorable.

but I think no one can contest his genius ...almost a century later we are still wowed by his legend.

#17     Dec 16, 2012
  8. quitting while you are ahead is not the same as quitting

I am an enormously successful ES trader

and will remain so as long as I never trade it again

#18     Dec 16, 2012
  9. Digs

Digs

He suffered 'depression'...

A sickness that takes many !

#19     Dec 16, 2012
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Most people bringing this up never think of his age. He was 63, all his life and success was already behind him. He lived enough...
    It is not like he was 28 with 3 small kids at home. His kids had nice funds set up for them and taking care of.....

#20     Dec 16, 2012